Tip Tackles Today at 6N

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Surprised by both tbh, I thought France would get at least a yellow, and England's was a nailed-on red. What do I know 🤪🤣

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
got videos / timings?

To review?

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can't find any clips but timings are:

IRE v ENG @ 75:22 (7 White on 22 Green)
FRA v WAL @ 17:42 (13 Blue on 5 Red)

Both matches on ITVX in the UK.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Another one in the u20 Ire v Eng just after 52mins game time.

White tackler got red card.

Wasn't a pick and lift tip tackle, white tackled low but the speed of green player saw him flip over the top of white. As he's already going over white stands up, which does raise greens hips/legs though doesn't seem be held at that point.

Incident seemed to be caused primarily by speed to me. If white tackler had not stood up then green look like he would have face-planted anyway. Interested to hear other views on this one.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was ok with the England YC. Irish player landed on shoulder, not head or neck

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Another one in the u20 Ire v Eng just after 52mins game time.

White tackler got red card.

Wasn't a pick and lift tip tackle, white tackled low but the speed of green player saw him flip over the top of white. As he's already going over white stands up, which does raise greens hips/legs though doesn't seem be held at that point.

Incident seemed to be caused primarily by speed to me. If white tackler had not stood up then green look like he would have face-planted anyway. Interested to hear other views on this one.

I thought the red card in the U20s was very harsh. The player was taken past the horizontal, but didn't land on his head/neck.
The referee said it was a red card because it was very dangerous. TMO tried to say "look where he lands", but ref ignored that.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Can't find any clips but timings are:

IRE v ENG @ 75:22 (7 White on 22 Green)
FRA v WAL @ 17:42 (13 Blue on 5 Red)

Both matches on ITVX in the UK.
reg ire v eng 75th minute.
the T04 are discussing it and rationalise that the presence of another player (Ludlam/Tuilangi ?) was a contributing factor in the twist as 22 rolled over L/T's back.
Im not saying that is "right". But that's their argument and a YC result. Im not au fait enough with the full regs - somebody else may be able to confirm the processes etc.

fra v wales, ficou on AWJ... lands on his back/shoulder, not driven as explained by Ref to TMO. Again others will know the protocols around this. Im am a little surprised it wasn't a YC but as I say the protocols may say otherwise.
WRT the Ire v Eng U20 ... oooo... one can make an argument that white didn't LIFT green and TURN him through the horizontal. The subsequent flip and land was more because green pivoted over white's shoulder - but white did start to stand in the tackle which did create an upwards "lift"... though Im not sure he ever managed to actually grasp green though he tried. I think Red there is probably reasonable enough - another ref on another day may have talked that down to a yellow. BUT - green doesnt land on his heade or even shoulder - its the flat of his back/side. Though of course that is more accident than design!

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
fra v wales, ficou on AWJ... lands on his back/shoulder, not driven as explained by Ref to TMO. Again others will know the protocols around this. Im am a little surprised it wasn't a YC but as I say the protocols may say otherwise.
That one did surprise me - both as my understanding is once you rotate past horizontal you’re in PK or worse territory unless the tackled player is put down on their feet. I felt it was YC.

I was also surprised as it seemed quite unnecessary - Fickou seemed to lift the player for no real advantage over just taking the player to ground.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"past the horizontal" is, I suppose, a useful description, and may be included in Guidelines, but the Law is "lifted off the ground and dropped or driven so that their head and/or upper body make contact with the ground". If we don't use that terminology amongst ourselves, we will be promoting an incorrect understanding. ("Let him up" anybody?)