TMO Nationality

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
I understand that they only have a pool of four TMOs for this tournament (with Tim Hayes helping our during busy periods) but surely they could have avoided having an Italian TMO for the Italy-Australia game? Imagine if it had come down to a match-deciding TMO call in the last minute?! Not suggesting he would have been biased for a second but it doesn't look good!

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
The IRB had the TMO listed as 'to be confirmed' in the appointments as well- were they trying to cover it up?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
That is odd, Nz isn't that big, only 1-2 HR flight max so surely they could avoid this situation.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I'd happily see Wayne Barnes in charge of a Wales Vs England over some other "elite" refs. But yes it does seem strange when there is a choice to put such pressure on an official.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Seems odd. Goddard was doing SA v Wales, Hughes was doing Ireland v USA, so I was expecting Veldsman to be doing Australia v Italy. Di Santis did the opening game and then France v Japan yesterday.

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seems odd. Goddard was doing SA v Wales, Hughes was doing Ireland v USA, so I was expecting Veldsman to be doing Australia v Italy. Di Santis did the opening game and then France v Japan yesterday.

Agreed, I was sure it would be Veldsman as well, but TV pictures and IRB showed it was de Santis. Wonder if it was due to illness.

FKlopper

Post Likes
Agreed, I was sure it would be Veldsman as well, but TV pictures and IRB showed it was de Santis. Wonder if it was due to illness.

The IRB match preview was posted on their website on Thursday with him listed as the TMO, so it wasnt a case of a last minute drop-out from someone else.

I would say that the only reason I would expect this at any time would be to save vast amounts of money - De Santis was TMO at Eden Park on Friday, North Harbour on Saturday (and Sunday) - but if they were choosing to do this, why couldn't they pick someone who would be neutral for all three games: either Graham Hughes or Shaun Veldsman?