Touch flags

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Make sure the flags are visible against the 'crowd' when viewed from the far side of the pitch; High-viz in some form is almost obligatory, red/yellow quarters works well but suggest something better by all means.

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Left mine at bloody franklin's gardens, bet Nigel has buggered off with them!

- - - Updated - - -

Left mine at bloody franklin's gardens, bet Nigel has buggered off with them!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The level I am at the players, coaches, first aiders are all doing it for free. Indeed the reverse: in most cases they are paying to be members of the club, and paying match fees.
Indeed I pay membership to my club, so when I ref there on a Sunday morning in a sense I am effectively paying to ref. I never give it a second thought, it's a club. I don't thnk my role is so special I deserve free membership.

All hobbies have costs associated with them, and the equipment and clothes I need to buy for my refereeing hobby are a LOT cheaper than those I buy in the course of my cycling hobby !

My society requires me to wear a special shirt, they gave me that for free. They don't require to me wear special shorts or socks. When my old ones wore out, I did buy society ones, but they cheaply priced.

Of course further up the ranks it different, if all the coaches and players are being paid, so should the ref.

And that's how you look at it, so good for you. You're not wrong, but then neither are those that think that providing an important service so others can enjoy their hobby should be cost neutral to them (especially those that have limited finances).
I'm not here to convince you. You are either in the group that agree it should be cost neutral or you don't and no amount of argument will change your mind. But by not catering for both sides means you limit those that take up the task.
I take it you don't have referee shortages and have every single game covered by qualified referees over there?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Physios get paid for attending matches , and are provided with free club tracksuits etc .... I wonder if they buy the equipment they use to facilitate their 'paid' service , replies not needed we know the answer.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had a pair of flags however one got pinched/not handed back so now I have one. I will tend to lend it to a "proper" Touch Judge because they tend to keep in all match. Where we have the TJ is a replacment(s) and/or the leased bored/drunk spectator I hang on to it.

At L8 most clubs have a proper TJ and he/she comes equipped with flag. The down side is this is usually something fashioned out of the club colours and invariably does not stand out well against a crowd/trees etc.

I use my solo flag if I get a TJ/AR gig.

I got mine from Sports Direct or some such cheap and cheerful shop. They were about £5-£7 IIRC.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a pair of flags however one got pinched/not handed back so now I have one. I will tend to lend it to a "proper" Touch Judge because they tend to keep in all match. Where we have the TJ is a replacment(s) and/or the leased bored/drunk spectator I hang on to it.

At L8 most clubs have a proper TJ and he/she comes equipped with flag. The down side is this is usually something fashioned out of the club colours and invariably does not stand out well against a crowd/trees etc.

I use my solo flag if I get a TJ/AR gig.

I got mine from Sports Direct or some such cheap and cheerful shop. They were about £5-£7 IIRC.

a solo flag -- it sounds so sad! Like a solo cufflink, or a solo ear ring.

I bought mine for £7, they are yellow and orange.

I ask the captains to nominate volunteer TJs and hand them the flags.
At the end of the game I make sure to get the flags back there and then - mostly I am handed them, sometimes I have to seek one out - but it's not hard to spot them in someone's hand - they are bright yellow and orange :)

it's easily worth the £7 for me to have my TJs equipped with a flag
1 - I can see the flag easily
2 - I know who current the TJ is (often it changes during the game)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm not here to convince you. You are either in the group that agree it should be cost neutral or you don't and no amount of argument will change your mind. But by not catering for both sides means you limit those that take up the task.
I take it you don't have referee shortages and have every single game covered by qualified referees over there?

I do think it should be cost neutral - I agree with travel expenses, and as the shirts are mandatory and sponsored they should also be free.

but I don't particularly see that grass roots referees should expect (say) free socks.