Touch

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I was looking at the 50-22 law and noticed that there is no a combination of

"where the ball reached the touch line"
"where the player or ball touches the touchline or the ground beyond it."
"where the ball reached the plane of touch."

Does "reached the touchline" mean the same as "reached the plane of touch"?

In the conflated case of a ball kicked or carried indirectly into touch (why conflate those) the line-out for a ball kicked indirectly into is at the point where the ball crosses the plane, not where it lands?

Am I correct in thinking that a ball being carried is not in touch if the player is in play, but the ball crosses the plane?

If a kicked ball crosses the plane of touch, but drifts back and lands in play, is it live or has it gone dead?
If it then bounces into touch - where is the line of touch?

Are any other sports laws as badly drafted as rugby?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was looking at the 50-22 law and noticed that there is no a combination of

"where the ball reached the touch line"
"where the player or ball touches the touchline or the ground beyond it."
"where the ball reached the plane of touch."

Does "reached the touchline" mean the same as "reached the plane of touch"? DEPENDS ON WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

In the conflated case of a ball kicked or carried indirectly into touch (why conflate those) the line-out for a ball kicked indirectly into is at the point where the ball crosses the plane, not where it lands? WHERE IT CROSSED THE PLANE.

Am I correct in thinking that a ball being carried is not in touch if the player is in play, but the ball crosses the plane? YES

If a kicked ball crosses the plane of touch, but drifts back and lands in play, is it live or has it gone dead? LIVE
If it then bounces into touch - where is the line of touch? WHERE IT CROSSED THE LINE

Are any other sports laws as badly drafted as rugby?

Answers in your quoted text.