Trojans vs Eastleigh, Ref walks off. Good for him.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
"getting caught up"

Allow me to second that "hmmmmmmm".

edit: a little nosing around finds people suggesting "someone knocked the ref out" or "the ref got accidentally punched", possibly in the back of the head.

vvv "Getting caught up in a shoving match" can imply many things, not all of which are deserving of support vvv

Last edited:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes

What do you mean "Hmmm"? He abandoned the match for the reason cited. It takes balls, but the alternative action... or rather non-action... would be equivalent to a gross surrender for every referee that follows Phil. He deserves every refs full support. End of chat.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I abandoned one last year. The students coach wouldn't leave the field of play and was winding all his players up. I asked him to leave and gave him the option. I think I learnt a lot from this and whilst it was unpleasant in the extreme (and of course we heard no more about it from my disciplinary chaps) it's these things that make you stronger.

My full support to this fellow referee!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is it any surprise that Trojans are a bunch of dicks?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
We don't have any details or facts from the article. Impossible to make a judgement.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What do you mean "Hmmm"? He abandoned the match for the reason cited. It takes balls, but the alternative action... or rather non-action... would be equivalent to a gross surrender for every referee that follows Phil. He deserves every refs full support. End of chat.

A number of things:
1. We don't know the full story and so can't make a judgement
2. In these times when we are struggling to attract new referees to the game this is not the sort of story we need to see in the press
3. If what is described did happen, then that is not good for the game (and the referee has my full support)

Plenty more, but those are the salient ones.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is said a Trojans 2nd Row was trying to smack the Eastleigh scrum half, fell off balance then smacked the ref on the back of the head. Nobody would tell the ref, once he'd recovered who was responsible.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
It is said a Trojans 2nd Row was trying to smack the Eastleigh scrum half, fell off balance then smacked the ref on the back of the head. Nobody would tell the ref, once he'd recovered who was responsible.

now THAT'S a good one....

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blackberry:309546 said:

That sound like a good reason to abandon the game.
Bit worrying that the photo seems to show him walking away alone? Was there no one on his side?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

If that is true;well done referee.