[Law] Try annulled for foul play

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Very interesting. Obviosuly penalty advantage for Saracens does not allow them to infringe with impunity. Hence a difficult but ultimately fair decision for me. Lesson 1, Don't retalliate !

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fair call. Sanjay has a short fuse. He needs to control it. Cost his side points. Maybe that will teach him.

Last_20

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
If Williams foul play is 'retaliation' and occurs after the instigation by Care then why not penalty against Care reversed and Harlequins penalty? Are the officials unduly influenced by the fact that Strettle scored before looking at the incident?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Absolutely the right decision by JPD.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
All looks fair to me. Clear foul play by blue prior to the try being scored. Retaliation also deserving of a YC. What a bunch of muppets.

Interesting when Marler arrived he didn't get heavily involved, just sort of stood there with a 'come on kids, stop it' body language :smile:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As I read it. Penalty Advantage to Sarries. Advantage cancelled by the retaliation. So back to the original offence (unless the retaliation was "worse" than the original offence). Two cards issued. Job done.

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The way I see it is that the first act of foul play is from Williams.

He is not at the back foot, has come in at the side to clear green 9 out. Was no need for that and ultimately what lead to it escalating

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There are several ways this could have been resolved.
I think the solution JP came up with was fair and equitable.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
The way I see it is that the first act of foul play is from Williams.

He is not at the back foot, has come in at the side to clear green 9 out. Was no need for that and ultimately what lead to it escalating

Not sure he was material as the ball was at the back and he did not try and hold green 9 into the breakdown.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The call by the AR to "stop the game" rather made it material. So perhaps a moot point

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
The call by the AR to "stop the game" rather made it material. So perhaps a moot point

"Stop the game" was a reasonable call for a fight going on and drawing other players in, but not for someone standing offside or a bit of pushing at a ruck.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd be pretty annoyed if an AR called "stop the game" for that. He is miked up and should be telling the Ref what he's got for him and the ref makes the call. Eg "John! I've got foul play by Green and serious retaliation by Blue pen green, if you want it" or something similar. Ref makes the call.

Even without comms I'd not expect an AR to "stop the game" for a bit of pushing and shoving Or an offside or other offence. I'd only really be expecting it if, there was a mass brawl behind my back or a serious injury.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was at the game and had ref link
I could hear AR interventions.. I didn't hear any "stop the game " calls

Of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen but I am not sure itndid

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Eg "John! I've got foul play by Green and serious retaliation by Blue pen green, if you want it" or something similar.

"I've got a bit of handbags!"

I think the whole thing was started by an offside/off-the-ball hit by Blue 15, I didn't think there was anything really in the push by green, so for me this was the first offence I would have sanctioned - would I be the only person restarting with a defensive PK green?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
jP thought the first act of foul play was DC pulling LW to the floor by his collar

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Surely this warrants a PK?
Offside Position / Not coming from back foot.
Playing a player not in the ruck.
Screenshot 2019-03-28 16.10.15.pngScreenshot 2019-03-28 16.10.43.png

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I agree, but if the first offence was blue - then advantage blue shouldn't have applied (i.e. no score anyway). FWIW I think the first act of foul play is also blue - when he (in my view deliberately) places his forearm on the head of green on the floor...