Try disallowed AFTER conversion attempt

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
no, but this is a guy who is working & dealing with the issues pragmatically at the coal face. If it's of no relevance to you, scroll on
My point being, providing a comment upon something I had already linked to didn't really progress the discussion, street cred or not. A fuller explanation, including why it was changed may have helped and provided an insight many of us don't get. Perhaps the pragmatic dealing "at the coal face" could educate us more if they were able to provide advice about many of the other things we (I) have issues with:
  • Why showcase rugby doesn't, or very rarely, penalise:
    • Squint put ins
    • Squint throw ins
    • Joining rucks from the side and in front of the back feet
    • Players diving off their feet at rucks
    • Players who place hands, arms etc on the ground before jackling
    • Scrum halves who interfere with their opponents at the back of scrums
    • Players in front of the kicker at starts/restarts
  • Why there is protection for players jumping laterally into other players, just because they are higher.
  • Why more penalty tries are not awarded for the "more advantageous" consideration - Watson just scored for Leicester in the corner but the advantage was being played - No yellow card, no PT, why?
Some may say that these factors allow the game to flow and improve the spectacle but they are all material offences and provide advantage to the offending team.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
No, it used to the a thing where once the conversion was taken that you can’t go back and check the try. They changed it in June last year.
indeed - and thanks for that :)
As I asked before though - ho2w long before a previosu situation eventually becomes a myth ?;-0

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As I asked before though - ho2w long before a previosu situation eventually becomes a myth ?;-0
Until every coach has been in a match or seen a match where it happens? And even then we’ll still get some nimrod arguing the toss.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How about the referee is the sole judge of fact!
If the referee says they're not allowing a try for whatever reason then so be it !

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Until every coach has been in a match or seen a match where it happens? And even then we’ll still get some nimrod arguing the toss.
the problems with myths are far wider than coaches I might suggest. As mush as it would be lovely to be true, coaches are not the majority of rugby supporters :)

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
the problems with myths are far wider than coaches I might suggest. As mush as it would be lovely to be true, coaches are not the majority of rugby supporters :)
True. Instead, maybe we need to have the equivalent of the Wikipedia “Common Misconceptions” page and then get all the TV pundits to read it.

Once Joe Punter hears it on Telly, it’s gospel.

Pinky2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
True. Instead, maybe we need to have the equivalent of the Wikipedia “Common Misconceptions” page and then get all the TV pundits to read it.

Once Joe Punter hears it on Telly, it’s gospel.
Even if it is wrong in law!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
indeed - and thanks for that :)
How long is a piece of string? I think things like that become myths until there are enough instances of it happening and the wider community can be educated on it.