[In-goal] Try or no try? You decide.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Try for me.

I know this is somewhat petty but Dan Biggar just frustrates me. The referee awarded the try, as far as I am aware he is not the captain of the side, yet when the opposite 10 is lining up a kick after the try he comes over and appeals to the referee. The referee then backs down and re-checked the try. It frustrates me as he is doing it more and more and it's not a good look for rugby IMO.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Try for me.

I know this is somewhat petty but Dan Biggar just frustrates me. The referee awarded the try, as far as I am aware he is not the captain of the side, yet when the opposite 10 is lining up a kick after the try he comes over and appeals to the referee. The referee then backs down and re-checked the try. It frustrates me as he is doing it more and more and it's not a good look for rugby IMO.

I don't remember that bit, but did he get the conversion? If not, would there have been a case for charging too soon against Biggar? And restarting with a penalty, too.

To his credit, he's much better than he was in this regard.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Paddy Jackson slotted the conversion at 56 minutes on the clock.

In the Munster Scarlets match, the Welsh side had a try ruled out for a forward pass, after NO had awarded it and the player was lining up the conversion. Happened in the first quarter of the game, Munster appealed for the TMO on the lead in.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
..............he comes over and appeals to the referee. The referee then backs down and re-checked the try.

I don't think so actually. It appears to me that the TMO came back to Ref stating he wanted to further check another angle.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
There the similarity with the NO decision ends. Nigel realizes he has made a mistake, based on TMO images, apologies to the kicker and disallows the try.
Here the TMO has helped the ref to this conclusion, then with the try awarded, says oh hang on a minute I have a different angle.
Hang the man out to dry.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't remember that bit, but did he get the conversion? If not, would there have been a case for charging too soon against Biggar? And restarting with a penalty, too.

To his credit, he's much better than he was in this regard.

The game from the weekend shows he isn't.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
The game from the weekend shows he isn't.

No, I stand corrected!

Proud Welshman as I am, I'd still have loved to see play restarted with a penalty on half way!