Try score agasint the post

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Am I reading this right?

22.4 OTHER WAYS TO SCORE A TRY
(b) Grounded against a goal post. The goal posts and padding surrounding them are part of
the goal line, which is part of in-goal. If an attacking player is first to ground the ball against
a goal post or padding, a try is scored.

I've always thought you could score a try at the base of the post/on the bottom of the padding, but reading 22.4(b) it seems to suggest that the whole padding is 'in play'

Am I missing somthing or have I stumbled upon my own urban myth?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Isn't grounded on the ground?

Exactly.

If an attacking player is first to ground the ball against a goal post or padding, a try is scored.
You have to do both, ground it, and against the post or padding.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree but why then does the law say

The goal posts and padding surrounding them are part of
the goal line

As a opposed to the base of the goal post and the base of the padding....

Because if they didn't people would say grounding against the post/padding was short of the line and therefore not a try.

What they are saying is that against the post/padding is the same as on the line because the post/padding are the line.

edit: I asked this very same question when I first came on here and after a long protracted discussion got the answer above.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Because if they didn't people would say grounding against the post/padding was short of the line and therefore not a try.

What they are saying is that against the post/padding is the same as on the line because the post/padding are the line.

edit: I asked this very same question when I first came on here and after a long protracted discussion got the answer above.

Thanks that's cleared that up.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As a opposed to the base of the goal post and the base of the padding....

If the law said "base" we could have a nice long thread on what the definition of "base" is :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
given padding these days extends several inches into the FoP its makes sense to specify padding as part of the goal line to avoid THAT debate.

didds