Two questions, kicking and elbow's for under 11's

BrummieRef

Post Likes
Under 11's - Age grade rugby.

So start of a new season, I think I have the rules nailed but just want to check.

1) Kicking and the ball does not go directly into touch but bounces on the pitch first. My understanding is the ball bouncing means there can be a gain in territory for the kicking team. This is for all drop 22s, free kicks, restarts and open play kicks.

2) Obviously fending is not allowed in this age group. So a forearm smash by any player is not allowed and arguably if fending was allowed would be a telling off if the forearm is level with the wrist and shoulder level. Where does this leave the ball-carrier using there ball carrying forearm to protect the ball? At the moment as long as it looks natural i.e. elbows pointing down pushing a defender away with a forearm is ok. Should I be looking for movement of the forearm before the tackle is made?

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Kicks (that are allowed at U11, ie no fly hack or kick for points) can be for territory yes, basically the same as the adult game (FK to touch means throw to the opposition etc, there is no penalty kick).

Don't have a law reference to hand but we never allowed any pushing by the arm or ball by the ball carrier, coach them to protect the ball (two hands better etc), and to turn their body and shield the ball, but no forearm pushing or anything like that. Once you suggest an element of that is allowed it becomes uncontrollable and the differences too grey.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Found it, from the U11 NROP;

[LAWS]

1. The ball carrier can run and dodge potential tacklers but cannot fend them off using their handsor the ball.

[/LAWS]

So as I thought carry only

BrummieRef

Post Likes
Found it, from the U11 NROP;

[LAWS]

1. The ball carrier can run and dodge potential tacklers but cannot fend them off using their handsor the ball.

[/LAWS]

So as I thought carry only

Thanks, I'm aware of that so, maybe my real question is when does protecting the ball with the ball carying arm become a fend? Or am i over thinking this and any push with the forearm is a fend.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
when does protecting the ball with the ball carying arm become a fend? Or am i over thinking this and any push with the forearm is a fend.

When you believe it is a deliberate act using the arm or ball to prevent a tackle.
i would be very quick to penalise if somebody led with elbow as that is dangerous play

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yup, keep the arm in, to be safe you don’t want to see any lift of the arm / ball because someone somewhere will see it as a fend, it’s difficult as natural instincts kick in