U11 kicking - am I reading this correctly?

manager

Post Likes
Apologies if this has been raised before but I recently read this in section 9 (Kicking) for U11s:

d) Other than from a restart, a free kick or charge down, if from a kick
the ball is played in flight by a player of the non-kicking team and
knocked forward, a scrum will be awarded to the non-kicking team
from where the ball is touched.

e) If from a kick the non-kicking team plays the ball and it goes
backward, advantage can be played to the non-kicking team. Where
no advantage is gained a scrum should be awarded to the nonkicking
team.

So if the player kicks the ball in open play, the non-kicking recipient will always get the scrum (unless an advantage occurs)?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
it is to do with...

* making random kicking less likely to be successful, so promoting better specific kicking or other alternative options.
* rewarding attacking a kicked ball whilst still in the air, with a no-risk policy of attempting to catch it.

didds

Last edited:

merge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
d) refers to played in flight while e) just says plays. Should these be the same, i.e. non-kicking side scrum if played in flight? Or if the ball bounces first does the non-kicking side get a scrum if it goes back but not forward?

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes, e) should also say "played in flight".

Antony

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
As a coaching tip, train all your team to go for the catch EVERY time. Even if it's a flying dive to get a finger tip to it. Given that any contact makes it a scrum to you, they should be aiming to never let it bounce!!

merge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As a coaching tip, train all your team to go for the catch EVERY time. Even if it's a flying dive to get a finger tip to it. Given that any contact makes it a scrum to you, they should be aiming to never let it bounce!!

While I agree with aiming to catch the ball, most kicks come from the two exceptions of kick offs and free kicks. Making sure they appreciate the difference is also important.

Does anyone have a good signal for played in flight when awarding the scrum? I'm sure there will plenty of mystified parents.

manager

Post Likes
it is to do with...

* making random kicking less likely to be successful, so promoting better specific kicking or other alternative options.
* rewarding attacking a kicked ball whilst still in the air, with a no-risk policy of attempting to catch it.

didds

Thanks. I thought it might be something to do with that. It will indeed be questioned by many parents.