[Mini/Midi] u11 Kicking from breakdown

nimblehippo

Post Likes
Under the u11 rules you have to pass away from the breakdown. Would you penalise a player for

a) executing a box kick after taking the ball out of a scrum or ruck

b) Attempting a crossfield kick pass?

Note it says only explicitly that they may not run with it in the u11 guidance

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so the regs say

* you cannot run with it
* and aree otherwise silent?

Or do they also say
*must pass

??

didds

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
[LAWS]Reg 15, Appendix 5, 12.f Once the ball has been won, the scrum half must pass the ball from the base ofthe scrum. They cannot run with it.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]
m) When the tackle is made and the ball carrier is on the ground, TWO supportingplayers from each team, who must remain on their feet, may:
i. rip the ball from the ball carrier but must then pass the ballimmediately to a team mate; or
ii. pick up the ball and pass away from the contact area; or
iii. if a ruck is not formed, pick up the ball and run; or
iv. up to TWO players may join to form a ruck but must do so from theirown side (i.e. from the direction of their own goal line) and drive overthe ball, in an attempt to take their immediate opponents away fromthe ball.

n) If m)iv. above has taken place, the next arriving player must pass the ball toanother player.[/LAWS]

Damn - there goes a tactic I was planning - although I suspect there's a 50:50 of refs. letting it go (although now I've read the laws my OCD won't let me.

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In all probability I would allow it, with a word after, just like if they fail to pass from a scrum / ruck / maul / rip I scream pass it and 9 times out of 10 the do, in open phased play the important thing is the balls moved out positively and they get to play.

If however it led to an immediate try I would pull it pack, as I have done for not passing before now, with a gentle explanation that the laws say you 'must' and I can't allow a point scoring advantage from it. It's always been accepted as fair by players and coaches a like.

BrummieRef

Post Likes
In all probability I would allow it, with a word after, just like if they fail to pass from a scrum / ruck / maul / rip I scream pass it and 9 times out of 10 the do, in open phased play the important thing is the balls moved out positively and they get to play.

If however it led to an immediate try I would pull it pack, as I have done for not passing before now, with a gentle explanation that the laws say you 'must' and I can't allow a point scoring advantage from it. It's always been accepted as fair by players and coaches a like.

I do similar as well, however this season the boys I have not had to enforce it yet. When you do pull it back do you hand over possession as well for a free kick? For me it can be dependent on the score. If one team is running a way with the game it's a coaching opportunity to show the weaker team what they should of done.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Varies, if I pull it back quickly I'll often say 'go again' and let them replay the scrum, however if a team is dominant then I'm more likely to FK against them, both teams need to come off the field and have learnt to improve in some way