[Maul] U11 maul

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I note the laws say the ball should be made available within 5 seconds of a maul being formed. Can I confirm therefore that this ‘use it’ requirement is in place even if the mail is moving forward? There is no reference in Appendix 5 to forward movement of a maul.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes, and unfortunately it's another one of those NROP variants which is contrary to what a lot of spectators are expecting. Personally I make it a nice long 5 seconds (especially near the try line) to give them a good chance, but you do have to watch for safety if it goes down. Most end up as a big stationary cuddle though!

I'm anticipating this to be frustrating at U12 (age I coach this year) as we still have the 5 second variation but don't have the 2+ ball carrier restriction so we can have 12 on 12 now!

BrummieRef

Post Likes
I note the laws say the ball should be made available within 5 seconds of a maul being formed. Can I confirm therefore that this ‘use it’ requirement is in place even if the mail is moving forward? There is no reference in Appendix 5 to forward movement of a maul.

That is correct within 5 seconds of it being formed. In reality the ball is ripped or passed off before then or maul is stationary anyway.