U12 regs and jackling

BigSim

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm moving up to coach U12s this season and I'm a bit confused about Reg 15 5 v....

Free Kick will be awarded ...... If a player is prevented by the opposition from passing the ball immediately when they have gone to ground in possession.

Does this prevent jackling? I've seen some more switched-on players jackle at U10 and U11 and I'm wondering if it's permitted at this level.

Thanks!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
From what you've written and in the basic development of play remit that we coach to in grass roots age group rugby Id suggest that yes - jackling is in effect prohibited - presumably in the interests of developing game play

Its also a moot point whether jackling is appropriate at such young ages where (maybe!) technique is not necessarily perfect and the action exposes necks that have not yet developed sufficient muscle mass to withstand contact .

I appreciate that coaches may not always coach it of course, just because we see players do it.

didds

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don’t think this is geared to prevent jackling, I coached and encouraged it, as did every other club we played at U12 last year. I believe that law variation is in and around reminding everyone that there are offside lines at the tackle so no opposition player should be there in a position to prevent a tackled player from passing the ball ‘immediately’ (my emphasis) - if however a player has the where with all to go through the gate and get hands on first then kudos to him for being aware and trying to do something positive.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Still in U13 regs, didn’t see a single box kick all last year in a minis game, guess there must be a list of ex scrum half coaches in other regions!

BigSim

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Lordy77

Post Likes
Am I right in thinking that at under 12's the scrum half can pick and go from the back of a ruck? Up until now they have always had to pass away from the base of the ruck when the ball has been won but reading the latest regs I cant see any mention of this for under 12's which leads me to think that you refer to open age rules.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's allowed in Wales from U10 upwards:

"After the tackle one player from each team can contest for the ball, this can be any player involved in the tackle or another arriving player"

I reffed a district talent spotting competition on Saturday morning and there was some amazing skill on show from a few talented players who were all over it. The body position is where it should be to compete the ruck anyway so I can't see any reason to discourage it.

BrummieRef

Post Likes
It's allowed in Wales from U10 upwards:

"After the tackle one player from each team can contest for the ball, this can be any player involved in the tackle or another arriving player"

I reffed a district talent spotting competition on Saturday morning and there was some amazing skill on show from a few talented players who were all over it. The body position is where it should be to compete the ruck anyway so I can't see any reason to discourage it.

Interesting the Welsh allow it but not the English. Have the Welsh banned box kicking this season as well?

Am I right in thinking that at under 12's the scrum half can pick and go from the back of a ruck? Up until now they have always had to pass away from the base of the ruck when the ball has been won but reading the latest regs I cant see any mention of this for under 12's which leads me to think that you refer to open age rules.

Any player can pick up and carry from the ruck in the u12's. From what I can see the main changes this year when compared to u11's last year:

* Unlimited numbers at ruck and maul
* 5 man scrum, SH can start next to opposition, SH not allowed past the gain line
* Can pick up and go at ruck
* No need to pass if the ball is ripped
* Box kicking banned (for u11 as well)
* Hand off are now legal, must be below tackle line/arm pits.

Last edited: