[Mini/Midi] U12 regs missing clause?

BigSim

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In the 2019 version of the U12 regs a reference is made to clause 8 m)iv but it doesn't exist. Any idea what it should be, or do they really mean m(iii) ?

Here's the offending passage...

8. The Tackle, Maul and Ruck:

m) When the tackle is made and the ball carrier is on the ground, supporting players may:
i. pick up or rip the ball and run or pass away from the contact area; or
ii. if a ruck is not formed, pick up the ball and run; or
iii. join to form a ruck but must do so from their own side (i.e. from the direction of their own goal line) and drive over the ball, in an attempt to
take their immediate opponents away from the ball.

n) If m)iv. above has taken place, the next arriving player can pass the ball to another player or run with it.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
82EBEA91-5CB7-4D22-8500-BB1DAA76A715.jpg

From my old copy, basically they can pick and go which is forbidden at younger age groups, is this now allowed throughout? Or forbidden?

BrummieRef

Post Likes
I think they really mean iii in the new rules. The first rule has been removed which forced the ball being passed after it is ripped and the reference has not been updated.

My understanding is that they can now pick up and run from a ruck but must not box kick it.

Last edited:

BrummieRef

Post Likes
Or does that rule mean they can only pick up and carry if no ruck or the ruck has been cleared out?

BigSim

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At my club we're going to assume you can pick and go either when there's no ruck (i.e open play), when the ball has been ripped and when the ball is available legally at the base of the ruck. I guess we'll see what the consensus is after we play a few games. Only from a scrum can you not pick and go: the scrum half has to pass.

Personally I don't like this. I'd prefer to keep the U11 practice of having to pass away from the ruck or the rip to encourage open play. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think it's just progression, at U13 they can pick and go from anywhere (except No 8 at the scrum), as always we can disagree on which bits they meddle with and why!

BrummieRef

Post Likes
At my club we're going to assume you can pick and go either when there's no ruck (i.e open play), when the ball has been ripped and when the ball is available legally at the base of the ruck. I guess we'll see what the consensus is after we play a few games. Only from a scrum can you not pick and go: the scrum half has to pass.

Personally I don't like this. I'd prefer to keep the U11 practice of having to pass away from the ruck or the rip to encourage open play. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Excellent, I think we are doing the same. Last year the U12's did pick up and carry from a ruck so the rewording of the rule appears to now allow running after the ball has been ripped.

Having to pass the ball when ripped often did not get enforced by about 75% of the teams we played. I always enforced it which lead to some lively debates with parents!

Last edited: