U13 - First game as a Ref

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Generally went well……fitness levels need improving……

Must not eat a banana at half time…..not pleasant!

Handled ball going dead in goal fairly well. Three scrums on the 5m line where defending team won the scrum, passed back into their in-goal and touched down. Out we came for another attacking scrum. The defending team forwards were, quite understandably, getting annoyed at their backs.
At one point the game became more like football when the ball was fly-hacked for 50m before a try was scored.

Positioning at the ruck and maul wasn’t bad. I found the ball and then stepped back put to the defending line so I could see the offside lines. Probably not far enough after watching some games on the weekend. More work required.

The kids scrummaged well with only a couple of incidents. Flanker peeling off before the ball was out, a new scrum half going the past the half way mark of the scrum. Also the attacking side pushing more than 1½ metres, despite being told to stop. I am sure I missed the backs moving offside as I was intent on observing the scrum. I was also in two minds about positioning. In my ELRA, the coach said that he stands in the SH position and when he is happy, moves backwards to allow the SH to move in. I tried this and found myself in the way of the SH. I then tried to move out as I called ‘SET’ to give the SH more time. Also tried to stand behind the SH and on the other side of the scrum.

There was a high tackle which wasn’t malicious. It was a case of the player grabbing the shirt between collar and yoke and dragging the player to the floor. A stern telling off and the resultant penalty dealt with it and no others in the game.

I used a score sheet from the forum and this worked fairly well. I made sure to put a ‘-‘ where the conversion wasn’t scored so I knew I had marked it down properly. Took my time to do this during the kick.

The away team took a bit of battering and apart from the first half Kick Off, they did all the restarts. The kicker couldn’t get the ball more than 9 meters, but the home team were happy to pick up the ball and play.

I played loads of advantage and tried to shout loud enough so both teams knew when advantage was being played and subsequently over. I think they all heard me OK.

My brief was rubbish…more nervous about that than the actual reffing. I spoke to the entire team and really only covered what I wanted from the scrum. Mostly long binds, no feet up, no pushing until the ball came in and straight put ins from the SH. Also remembered to say about going through the captain to ask questions.

In the end, after my question about hats, I didn’t need one as the rain held off. My contact lenses are coming next week!

Also, must check my kit. Got to the club and found I only had my old watch! I only live 15 minutes away, started flapping and then decided to calm down! My old watch was more than up for the task and it worked well enough. The only thing I found were the numbers were a bit small…my proper watch is more visible and has the vibe function.

Sean

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well done. Sounds as if you enjoyed it, which is important as well. Keep up the self analysis

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Excellent - well done. If the fitness is an issue at U.13, don't be too gung-ho about going up the age groups - it gets much tougher. Take your time, and put in the training. Much better to do that than have to withdraw for eight weeks as you repair pulled muscles.

Practice your brief while out walking the dog, driving to work etc. It is not good to try to get it together from scratch with 18 pairs of eager eyes staring in your direction. At U.13- and most otehr games to be honest - brief should mean exactly that.

These games are wonderful - some good play, great attitudes and still manageable in terms of outright pace. Enjoy!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
sounds all good wolrabs - well done!

didds

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I was also in two minds about positioning. In my ELRA, the coach said that he stands in the SH position and when he is happy, moves backwards to allow the SH to move in. I tried this and found myself in the way of the SH. I then tried to move out as I called ‘SET’ to give the SH more time. Also tried to stand behind the SH and on the other side of the scrum.

What I find works is stand at the tunnel with the feeding SH to your left and slightly behind you. Once you call the set wait for a second to ensure square ad steady and thenstep back at slightly to your right. The SH can then come in and feed. Keep fading towards the back of the scrum, into a normal A line position. You are then looking across the scum so can see the backs offside , the flankers and 8's staying bound, the defending SH trail (although I get that you don't allow trailing up north). It also allows you to get around behind the 8 to follow the ball as it goes out the backs