[Junior] U13 NRoP gain in ground clarification

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Buffing up on U13 variations in Reg 15 Appx 7. Section 5 defines a Free Kick as sanction for all offences that would earn a PK in adult rugby, then goes on to say "A free kick is a kick from hand. This can either be a tap by the player to themselves, or a kick to gain ground."

The clarification I need is: in the event that Team A is awarded a FK and kicks for touch, who gets the free pass in? My gut says it should be Team B - this was a kick to touch from a FK, but I would really like some confirmation! Thanks!

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes, you are right.

Team A awarded a free kick inside the 22, and they kick it directly into touch (or bounces in play then into touch), free pass to Team B 10m in from the touch line where the ball went into touch.

Team A awarded a free kick outside the 22, and they kick it where in bounces in play and then goes into touch, free pass to Team B 10m in from the touch line where the ball went into touch.

Team A awarded a free kick outside the 22, and they kick it directly into touch, free pass to Team B 10m in from the touch line in line with where he mark for the free kick was.

Thanks,

Antony

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Many thanks, Antony - this is exactly what I needed.

merge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Team A awarded a free kick outside the 22, and they kick it directly into touch, free pass to Team B 10m in from the touch line in line with where he mark for the free kick was.

Is this what they meant by "a kick to gain ground"? Because I always understood that in open play kicking from outside the 22 into touch on the full was referred to as "no gain in ground" (Law 19.1), and thus this implied that in NROP the free pass from a free kick kicked out on the full should be taken in line with where the ball crosses the touch line?

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree the wording is not great - this is not the only one.

Thanks,

Antony