U14 numbers

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hi,

Been some confusion on games I have been involved with between clubs so seeking confirmation from this group please.

The u14 laws state “the game is played between sides of equal numbers not exceeding 15”.

This obviously doesn’t apply to yellow card situations which is 5 mins.

Does it apply if teams drop numbers due to injuries?

Some clubs are arguing you just have to start with equal numbers and a game I saw recently ended up 15 vs 13 as a result. Whilst the scrum will match numbers do side have to drop players in this scenario? Appreciate the spirit says yes, but some clubs don’t seem to follow that all the time.

Thanks

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ive always understood it to mean that in the event of injury and no other subs the other team should drop a player but it doesnt say that in the RFU variations but may do so in local competition rules. For league or cup games, consult the competition rules (our league rules stipulate that numbers must be matched unless for red or yellow cards). When I ref U14s in friendly games I always ask coaches prior to the game to agree what they want to do in that event and let me know.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In all the age grade games I ref if a team loses players to injury or whatever I make a point of letting the oppo coaches know and loiter long enough to suggest they should be dropping one / lending a player to balance up (Cup / league games excepting).

RFU game on regs suggest similar should happen in non league adult games too