[Line out] U14 uncontested lineout

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
everyone wants to win games - the kids, the coaches the parents

Well, I accept I probably get put in the tree hugging class here, but if coaches are merely interested in winning they will not IMO be likely to end up creating the best 19 year old rugby player they can.

That doesn't mean you coach to lose... but they should IMO be coaching to develop players that will win later in their life. Certainly coaching to win THIS WEEK does not help a holistic and long term development.

To take an extreme view of TC's suggestion above ... why not just permit the thrower to throw it straight to the scrum half and ignore the lineout completely other than a way to get 16 lumps to one side of the pitch out of the way?

didds

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Well, I accept I probably get put in the tree hugging class here, but if coaches are merely interested in winning they will not IMO be likely to end up creating the best 19 year old rugby player they can.

That doesn't mean you coach to lose... but they should IMO be coaching to develop players that will win later in their life. Certainly coaching to win THIS WEEK does not help a holistic and long term development.

To take an extreme view of TC's suggestion above ... why not just permit the thrower to throw it straight to the scrum half and ignore the lineout completely other than a way to get 16 lumps to one side of the pitch out of the way?

didds

I agree if we were talking about 7 and 8 year olds - but we are talking about 14 and 15 year olds

We start contesting everything at Under 10, and start lifting at Under 13. We already get complaints about starting Premierships so late compared to other sports

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
A pity that a wealth of information has been lost in the RFU website rejuvenation.