[Mini/Midi] U9 tackle

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Re the U9's tackle:

Any contact below the arm pits of the ball carrier which results in a grip by the opponent of the ball carrier. Where the ball carrier remains on their feet the referee must call “TACKLE” (allow approx 3 secs to establish whether ball carrier held). Where ball carrier is taken to ground, the referee must call “TACKLE”

Given I live on a small island it's hard sometimes to get a sense of what teams deem appropriate here (given how subjective it is).

To confirm it the understanding that the ball carrier doesn't need to have been stopped for it to be deemed a tackle? I.e. If held by shirt but still making good progress, after 3 seconds is going to be a tackle?

Thanks,

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
To confirm it the understanding that the ball carrier doesn't need to have been stopped for it to be deemed a tackle? I.e. If held by shirt but still making good progress, after 3 seconds is going to be a tackle?

Yes, that is right.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Technically yes, although I tend to make it a long 3 seconds when just grabbing at clothes or driving forward near the try line, reward positive play and good tackling technique etc