Uini Antonio Banned

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So they're saying Wayne Barnes (and the rest of the To4) got it wrong? On what basis?

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes but did they say WB's observation of fact was wrong, or that he was wrong to assess that there was mitigation?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what does this mean? Is he back for the Wales game if he does the training?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 6

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
My first thought on replay was "His right arm is down by his side so he can hit with a 'hard' shoulder" although his left arm did come round afterwards. The head movement looks bad enough for a 'head contact' but WB gave him benefit of the doubt. Yellow for either, or both.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
WB: "OK so we've got some [impact] through the arm, and some through the chest. Ah. But we have got head contact. OK. So it's not all through the head. And we've got that whiplash going forward. So I'm not starting off at a high degree of danger."

Yet the disciplinary committee started off at a high degree of danger.

I don't think anyone could fault WB's statement of fact that the impact was through the shouder and chest, with some head contact also, so...

Do elite refs like WB have a different set of guidelines from the disciplinary committee as to how to assess a "high degree of danger"?

Would be weird if so, but I can't think of any other rational explanation.

Hopefully this clarifies my original question.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I just think WB is a ref that looks for every reason to NOT give a RC. Thats neither good nor bad, I just think that that is his default position.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I just think WB is a ref that looks for every reason to NOT give a RC. Thats neither good nor bad, I just think that that is his default position.
IMO its a poor approach to take, especially at grassroots. If a player has committed an action which triggers enough of our spider senses that we are thinking straight RC then its pretty likely to be a RC. Taking the approach that "RC ruin matches" actually does a giant disservice to the game and makes it harder on the referee as smart players will know that they can push the envelope and foul play might not receive the sanction it deserves, which means poorer behaviour and grudges.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Interesting that NO doesn't make the distinction that WB did, about the force going through shoulder/chest, and also head, when assessing the level of danger. Makes me wonder again maybe WB has been briefed differently? They are both top refs after all...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well picking hairs one is no longer a top REF.... :)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Interesting that NO doesn't make the distinction that WB did, about the force going through shoulder/chest, and also head, when assessing the level of danger. Makes me wonder again maybe WB has been briefed differently? They are both top refs after all...
No, one of them is.

The other seems to have become a Welsh version of J Kaplan.