[CLUB RUGBY] Uncontested scrum / numbers debarcle

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Although the Ref made it very clear it was all avoidable. I felt that the genesis of the problem was the lack of management of Leicester's loose head, he had been continually pulling it down and was not penalised for it. The same lack of management led to the yellow card maybe addressing that 20 mins earlier would have prevented the issue.

I would dare to suggest Bristol were not aware that they would drop to 13 men if they wanted uncontested.

As it happened the replacement was clearly tactical, so once the original tight head came back and the contest was fairer the Leics poor control enabled the Bristol scrum half to snaffle the ball as it popped out of channel 1 and clear it. Peep!

I feel there may be some repercussions!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Referee Ian Tempest then told Lam that because the yellow card was awarded for an infringement at a scrum, if Bristol could not perform contested scrums then they would have to remove a second player as well as the sin binned prop

is that a thing? So if the YC had been for an infringement not at a scrum, they would go uncontested with no 2nd player removed?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
is that a thing? So if the YC had been for an infringement not at a scrum, they would go uncontested with no 2nd player removed?

I think that’s a misquote / misinterpretation - the fact that it’s a YC means they will drop another player (not the case in other RFU leagues), if they were losing the player due to head injury or foul play injury they could have kept 15 and gone uncontested

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I would guess it is because the lack of a STE front row would only become apparent at the next scrum. So you play on and when the next scum comes along "Can you scrummage?" " No Ref". "Ok uncontested and another player goes off".

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I would guess it is because the lack of a STE front row would only become apparent at the next scrum. So you play on and when the next scum comes along "Can you scrummage?" " No Ref". "Ok uncontested and another player goes off".
Seems reasonable. If I bin a FR player, I make the team wait until we have an actual scrum to make all their positional changes.