Uncontested scrums

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I do not feel it is right but I have no juristiction to overrule him.

But you could write to him, or ask your Society to query the logic where teams start with less than 8v8 or in U19 where the law stipulates that when a man goes off the scrums MUST be 7v7. Or any of the scenarios described by Matthew Carly.

I do understand that until any such conversation takes place you have to comply with whats been told to you.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I do not feel it is right but I have no juristiction to overrule him.
Presumably you can ask him if his ruling only applies when both team started with 15 players?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But you could write to him, or ask your Society to query the logic where teams start with less than 8v8 or in U19 where the law stipulates that when a man goes off the scrums MUST be 7v7. Or any of the scenarios described by Matthew Carly.

I do understand that until any such conversation takes place you have to comply with whats been told to you.

It was queried at the time. It was during a Society meeting. U19 has a specific variuation re the scrums so that
take priority (As do 3 man scrums in an earlier post).

OB said:
Presumably you can ask him if his ruling only applies when both team started with 15 players?

He was asked and that was his answer.

I'm sorry if people don't like his answer. Be grateful that you are not affected by it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Well, its seems definitive from what Marc says.

Ridiculous - but definitive.

didds

wrighty

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
I can't find this in the 2018 law book , not covered by Laws 3 or 19 , I know it was part of last years Global trials , but are we still playing to it and if so which law covers it ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't find this in the 2018 law book , not covered by Laws 3 or 19 , I know it was part of last years Global trials , but are we still playing to it and if so which law covers it ?

unfortunately the 2018 Law Book omits all the current trials - if you go back to the 2017 Law book - which is on the WR site - you can see the trials

(this is going to be a constant refrain for the next 12 months!)

wrighty

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Just to clarify Crossref , the team that causes the uncontested scrum may not replace the player who caused it , so they must play with 8 forwards and 6 backs ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just to clarify Crossref , the team that causes the uncontested scrum may not replace the player who caused it , so they must play with 8 forwards and 6 backs ?

no.

In league rugby and many merit table competitions if you cause uncontested you drop to 14 players, and the new law is that you must retain 8 in the scrum.

you are a school ref and at schools it's different
1 I don't think schools games ever play man-off (?) so you'd stay 15v15 anyway.
2 If you are 14 v 15 (run out of replacements say) then scrums must always be balanced, so you'd either be 7v7 or 8v8 depending upon which player you lost. Normally If the last person who went off was playing as a forward you'd drop to 7v7 if he was playing as a back you'd stay 8v8