Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hi Antony, welcome.

It would be easier if you kicked off with any concerns/issues that you have, otherwise we could end up discussing things that aren't troubling the grey cells!

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks Phil E, yes, they are the same rules.

Browner: That makes sense. Here is the first question then:

At the restart, the ball must travel 7m, I assume it can bounce before it travels the 7m, it is just that it can't be played by the kicking team until it has gone the 7m?

Thanks,

Antony

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
At the restart, the ball must travel 7m, I assume it can bounce before it travels the 7m, it is just that it can't be played by the kicking team until it has gone the 7m?

correct.

It mirrors all the requirements of law 13.5 (other than the distance involved) It is perfectly acceptable for the ball to bounce before it travels the 7m, and a chaser can grab it as soon as it goes 7m ( provided he was onside at the kick)

Nb.....there is no remit to take a quick restart, All opposition must have returned 7m into their own half before it is kicked.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks for clarifying.

Next one, potentially not so closed a question.

After being scored against you get to decide to kick the restart, or receive the kick from the opposition. Which one looks like the best option based on games you have played so far?

Thanks,

Antony

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
correct.

It mirrors all the requirements of law 13.5 (other than the distance involved) It is perfectly acceptable for the ball to bounce before it travels the 7m, and a chaser can grab it as soon as it goes 7m ( provided he was onside at the kick).
But be aware - this is commonly misunderstood by the sideline, including by a great many coaches. If you plan to coach this tactic to your boys, I suggest you get clarification/confirmation from the RFU and show it to the oppo ref just before kick-off. If your own ref is in the middle, show it to the oppo coach when the initial signs of apoplexy have died down somewhat.

In most cases, I see no upside to the side scored against electing to kick a restart so the oppo can build pressure again. Better to get them to kick to you so you can exert some pressure of your own. However, if you are struggling to retain your own ball at the breakdown, you may wish to ensure the oppo start their drive to your line from close to their own goal line - but it's a very negative tactic, aimed at reducing the number of tries they score against you rather than trying to see what you can achieve against them.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks Dixie. Good advice on the restart question. On the topic of to receive or kick, I think we were coming to the same conclusion, but it was hard to gage from our first play throughs. Any idea why they introduced the choice when it doesn't exist in the main game?

Thanks,

Antony

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Thanks for clarifying.

Next one, potentially not so closed a question.

After being scored against you get to decide to kick the restart, or receive the kick from the opposition. Which one looks like the best option based on games you have played so far?
This is a new one, didnt exist back in our u11 day.

Ah ha I see......... Free tactical advise sought ..... Lol

My advise is discuss with the players what they would want/expect /hope for from either situation, then they develop their own game strategy thinking. Self learning is best practice IMO. After all any chase success requires kick and chase ability to dovetail.

john g

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks Dixie. Good advice on the restart question. On the topic of to receive or kick, I think we were coming to the same conclusion, but it was hard to gage from our first play throughs. Any idea why they introduced the choice when it doesn't exist in the main game?

Thanks,

Antony

I wonder if it is from the 7s format with the side that scored kicks?

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks Browner, thought I sneeked that in quite well ;)

I agree with you on getting the boys input, I think I will leave them to it for a few games, and then we can discuss how it is going in light of games played.

Thanks,

Antony

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks John, yes I hadn't thought of that.

Antony

Dan Cottrell

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I am not sure where this fits into the rules here...

7. Free Passes:
a) A free pass is used:
i. where the ball or ball carrier has gone into touch, 5 metres in
from the side of the pitch where the ball or ball carrier went
into touch
UNDERSTAND THAT...INSTEAD OF A LINEOUT
ii. once forward momentum has been stopped and the ball has not
been played away from the contact area
IS THE END OF A MAUL? IF SO IT CONTRADICTS RULE 8.k)
iii. if the tackler makes contact above the shoulder
MAKES SENSE, THOUGH I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS A PENALTY

Forgive capitals, not meaning to shout!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Any idea why they introduced the choice when it doesn't exist in the main game?
You can imagine a mismatch in which Red kicks off, Blue catches and scores, leaving Red to kick off, and Blue catches and scores. Leaving Red to kick off ... you see where I am going here. In most games, the disaster of a score against you is mitigated by the fact that you get a go yourself from the restart. Adult rugby is unusual in that respect, so perhaps this is just a way to make the game a little less daunting for the junior team that ships a fair few tries.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi Dan,

My understanding of the rule you mention is this:

i) Yep, you have got it.
ii) A maul is not formed unless you have the ball carrier, the tackler and TWO more players. It is perfectly possible for 1 player to tackle the ball carrier, hold him up, and stop his forward progress.
iii) Agree with you on that one, no penalties in our game though.

Thanks,

Antony

Dan Cottrell

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Hi Dan,

My understanding of the rule you mention is this:

ii) A maul is not formed unless you have the ball carrier, the tackler and TWO more players. It is perfectly possible for 1 player to tackle the ball carrier, hold him up, and stop his forward progress.

So why is that a free pass and not a scrum? Plus, a maul is a ball carrier, a team mate and a defender all bound together.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Good question Dan, not sure why it is a different sanction. Anyone know?

If you look in the under 11 rules, the definition of a maul is different.

Antony

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
If you look in the under 11 rules, the definition of a maul is different.

U11
8.(b)
BC + tackler + any two players from either team = maul formed.

why do this, when it simply reverts to std 'maul forming definition' at u13s .....(or at u12 IF old u12 rules still apply???) .....unnecessary tampering IMO.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes, not sure Browner. I am guessing someone must have thought this was a good idea for a reason, rather than just to mess with our heads :) Can anyone enlighten us on the possible reasons for this one?

Thanks,

Antony

Dan Cottrell

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Yes...I didn't read that one on what is a maul...just assumed it would have stayed the same as normal.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
U11
8.(b)
BC + tackler + any two players from either team = maul formed.

why do this, when it simply reverts to std 'maul forming definition' at u13s .....(or at u12 IF old u12 rules still apply???) .....unnecessary tampering IMO.

Yes...I didn't read that one on what is a maul...just assumed it would have stayed the same as normal.

Guys, this is what gets us into trouble with coaches and parents! I am all for having slightly different rules if it is of some benefit, just can't see it in this instance. It would be great if when they published this kind of thing that they put some sort of reason behind the difference from the normal rules.

Thanks,

Antony