Under 11's New Rules Of Play

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Here's my next question:

When you have awarded a free kick, can the attacking team 'tap and go' even though the defending team have not retired 7m. If they can do this, do we only blow for offside if one of those players within 7m interferes with play? Seeing as the penalty for this offence is another FK, it seems as if we would be best saying that there is no tap and go, you just have to wait until the defending team have retired the 7m.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Antony

Stormkahn

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Here's my next question:

When you have awarded a free kick, can the attacking team 'tap and go' even though the defending team have not retired 7m. If they can do this, do we only blow for offside if one of those players within 7m interferes with play? Seeing as the penalty for this offence is another FK, it seems as if we would be best saying that there is no tap and go, you just have to wait until the defending team have retired the 7m.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Antony

I think you're right in that a quick tap is legal, it's worth doing even if the defending team draw the off side because they'll still make a few yards.

We certainly think its the best option inside the oposition 22 but outside a kick to gain is probably better.

2p

Dave.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So, went to the Under 11's tournament at Wasps on Sunday morning - queried a couple of rules with one of the refs after the game who trotted out the "no idea mate" defence and told me to go and have a word with the control tent. Popped over there and was discussing the restart rules, clearly he thought one thing and me another, I said lets check in the rules, he agreed, and he pulled out a copy of the rules from last season :)

Poor show from a Premiership organised event.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if it was Sunday morning, at Twyford Avenue, it will have been organised by Wasps Amateurs, not by the premiership club of the same name.

take your point though.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It might still come as a shock to players who've had a second attempt all season ! , personally I don't support this approach, most kickers learn quick and then never repeat the error.

Its tough love !

As if to emphasise this LEARNING point, after an earlier PMB forewarning.... I issued a scrum following a QTP off the knee, when same player repeated the ' incorrectly taken' FK 7 mins later, it drew another scrum - chastisement from his teammates, and a shout from the HC/DoR of ' its a level 9 match referee'

Guess what.....I've got them again in two weeks, wonder if the DoR will have educated them in the interim ! LOL.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
if it was Sunday morning, at Twyford Avenue, it will have been organised by Wasps Amateurs, not by the premiership club of the same name.

take your point though.

I know, but has still got their name and branding all over the event. I am sure the marketing department would not be pleased.

For me it was just sloppy, refs that had no clear instruction on the new rules, or hadn't seen the rules, and bad organisation of the games. On the plus side the boys all played well and the weather was fantastic.

Antony

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
IFor me it was just sloppy, refs that had no clear instruction on the new rules, or hadn't seen the rules, and bad organisation of the games. On the plus side the boys all played well and the weather was fantastic.

Antony

sounds like a completely typical mini tournament!

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
sounds like a completely typical mini tournament!

Yes, I know what you mean. Just shouldn't have to be like this. In many ways the tournaments run by the 'smaller' clubs where the coaches get allocated games to ref work better, as at least they have half a clue about what the rules are, or at least read them :)

Thanks,

Antony

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Its not new............, but we played in the final of a tourno at U11, (those who know how quickly those matches are over) where we go one try up via a QTP score. Brill, that'll fill our confidence and drain theirs....

The oppo coaches (x4) then all lambasted the referee with "its not allowed" & even encroached the FoP whereby the referee cancelled the try and told me that he was doing so because he wasn't sure....!! I of course knew that QTP were allowable at U11, Hense my players played with such urgency.

I requested that he award the try, and after the match IF it wasn't allowed then they could strike it from the game. He wouldnt, it was of course, and we lost the final 1-2, from being 0-2 down.

After the final, the organiser and referee apologised for their error.

I accepted the error which i didnt consider Law knowledge, but was the way the opposition had influenced the cancellation and the refusal to adopt my common sense solution to their lack of knowledge mid match.

Not that it still irks 5 years later !!

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Great story, exactly the kind of frustrating stuff that gets on my nerves!

Thanks,

Antony

Stormkahn

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Its not new............, but we played in the final of a tourno at U11, (those who know how quickly those matches are over) where we go one try up via a QTP score. Brill, that'll fill our confidence and drain theirs....

The oppo coaches (x4) then all lambasted the referee with "its not allowed" & even encroached the FoP whereby the referee cancelled the try and told me that he was doing so because he wasn't sure....!! I of course knew that QTP were allowable at U11, Hense my players played with such urgency.

I requested that he award the try, and after the match IF it wasn't allowed then they could strike it from the game. He wouldnt, it was of course, and we lost the final 1-2, from being 0-2 down.

After the final, the organiser and referee apologised for their error.

I accepted the error which i didnt consider Law knowledge, but was the way the opposition had influenced the cancellation and the refusal to adopt my common sense solution to their lack of knowledge mid match.

Not that it still irks 5 years later !!

I think we must all have seen this kind of thing and know it hurts :(

Just from a noobie point of view I'd say that knowing the rules is only half the battle, managing the game is the rest and your ref on this occasion fumbled it. I'll no doubt be faced with a similar situation and I'm going to stick to my guns, we can debate my poor knowledge after the game. If I'm wrong it'll be wrong for both sides. 6.4.a

cheers,

Dave.

Stormkahn

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, I know what you mean. Just shouldn't have to be like this. In many ways the tournaments run by the 'smaller' clubs where the coaches get allocated games to ref work better, as at least they have half a clue about what the rules are, or at least read them :)

Thanks,

Antony

This'll be me this weekend, 1st time in anger at Kesteven. Wish me luck and feel free to set me straight! :)

cheers,

Dave.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think we must all have seen this kind of thing and know it hurts :(

Just from a noobie point of view I'd say that knowing the rules is only half the battle, managing the game is the rest and your ref on this occasion fumbled it. I'll no doubt be faced with a similar situation and I'm going to stick to my guns, we can debate my poor knowledge after the game. If I'm wrong it'll be wrong for both sides. 6.4.a

cheers,

Dave.

Here's the thing though - at U11 level everyone knows that many of the refs are inexperienced, and just starting out their journey into this exciting world, and will make mistakes and will not - yet - be great at managing the game (and the challenge here, make no mistake, is not the 10 year olds, it's the coaches/parents) All that comes with experience, and difficulties starting out are expected and accepted.
BUT no matter how inexperienced, there's no excuse for not knowing the Laws/Regs/Tournament Rules -- they can be researched and learned in a few hours.

Good Luck Stormkahn ! Enjoy it.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
BUT no matter how inexperienced, there's no excuse for not knowing the Laws/Regs/Tournament Rules -- they can be researched and learned in a few hours.

Good Luck Stormkahn ! Enjoy it.

Well said. Agree completely. I will even be sympathetic to someone who has read the rules but has a difference of opinion because of the poor way the RFU rules are set out, particularly early in the season when we are all trying to work out what is what. At least we can have a discussion about it. Someone who has not read the rules, or made any attempt to work out what the rules should be, that is the one that makes me cross.

Thanks,

Antony

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
To aid in the management of the game, and the education of the ill informed who give strong opinions on the rules at every opportunity, I recommend carrying a full set of rules and age variations in your bag for post match discussions, not least with tournament organisers!

Not for use during the game!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I recommend carrying a full set of rules and age variations in your bag for post match discussions, not least with tournament organisers!
Was anyone at the large Windsor tournament this weekend? How well did they do on the new rules of play?

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Was anyone at the large Windsor tournament this weekend? How well did they do on the new rules of play?

No, but we just did the one at Sarries this weekend.

Much better organised than Wasps, and the reffing was much, much better. BUT, they still were not implementing the new knock on rules or the fact that the scrum half can run from the back of the ruck. Some were giving scrums for ball in touch, some free pass. Nothing that changed the result of the game, and they were at least clear on the direction they had been given and they communicated this well to the boys.

Thanks,

Antony

Stormkahn

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We were at Kesteven last weekend and the instuction was very clear; the scum half must pass rule was highlighted and high tackles were upgraded from FP to FK.

It was well run, gloriously sunny and I had loads of support from all sides on my debut as ref. I found it a very positive experience so a big thanks to Kesteven B and Sleaford for that.

The only down side was that it has now gone noncompetitive which we all agree with for the younger ages but this age group is getting a mixed message and has been playing competitive for years so it feels like a step back.

Cheers,

Dave.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We were at Kesteven last weekend and the instuction was very clear; the scum half must pass rule was highlighted and high tackles were upgraded from FP to FK.

When you say scrum half must pass was highlighted, what do you mean? Highlighted in the rules? Highlighted as a tournament amendment? As a directive from the RFU? There is nothing in the NRoP that state that the scrum half must pass at the back of the scrum, only from a ruck.

Same sort of questions for the change of thought for a high tackle change of rules.

Thanks for the update, really good to hear how others are doing this.

Thanks,

Antony

Stormkahn

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
When you say scrum half must pass was highlighted, what do you mean? Highlighted in the rules? Highlighted as a tournament amendment? As a directive from the RFU? There is nothing in the NRoP that state that the scrum half must pass at the back of the scrum, only from a ruck.

Same sort of questions for the change of thought for a high tackle change of rules.

Thanks for the update, really good to hear how others are doing this.

Thanks,

Antony

Antony; they specifically pointed out rules 8n &o to make sure everybody was on the same page.

We don't actually play with positions as such so the reference to scum half was to the lad who was fulfilling the role at the base of the ruck really not the scum.

The high tackle change was for the festival and the local body has gone noncompetitive in this age group so they were pushing safety and stamping down on dangerous play. Nothing controversial really.

Dave.