Under 18's using gym changing rooms.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
his name is Keith Ruby, got 10 years!

Sorry, I should have been more specific, none in community rugby clubs that I've been involved with , least to my knowledge.

A quick search doesnt reveal that this 'private school teacher' was directly involved in a local rugby club ( or one known to me) , the core catalyst seemed to be his teacher/pupil relationship.

It could easily be argued that education ( especially 'boarding' ) fulfills the regularity of contact that grooming seemingly requires.

Therefore, arguably, u16 players are a damned sight safer with society appointed referee inadvertantly glancing once a season whilst changing amongst them ( if forced to do so by inadequate provision of facilities - orchestrated and advised by their teacher in charge) , than they are with their school teacher observing them on a more regular basis throughout their entire school tenure !

But hey, who needs this grief ... No separate changing facilites then dont referee, there .... That's better - everyone is now happy ?!!

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The distinction I see is:
Private gym - everyone is there in a private capacity. You have no "Power" over the kids, you are not there in any form of "parental" capacity, you have no "duty of care". You cannot be accused of "abuse of power".

However as soon as you are a referee - then everything changes. You have power, you have duty of care, you have some form of Parental capacity. You can be accused of "abuse of power".

When refereeing schools (when I was in UK) - whenever I was offered the Kids changing rooms/showers, I asked if the teachers did the same. Always a shocked look, and a negative response, then the light dawned on them. And they always offer the "away" teams changing room. Where necessary - I've taken the home team changing room, and key, and locked it. And insisted that the children wait until I am done. Amazing how asking the home team to do this, almost always works, as they don't want their kids hanging around in the cold and wet after a game....

The best was when they "couldn't find" the key to the teachers changing room, and with no other sensible options I asked the groundsman (and a rugby man to boot!) to open the door for me - he didn't have the key, but did have a sledge hammer. As we walked towards the changing room with said hammer, the rugby master quickly "discovered" the key in his pocket. The conversation afterwards about why he didn't trust me in the teachers room, but trusted me to be alone, naked, changing with his kids, was most amusing for me, be he was a deep shade of red, and very flustered... And his Head Master was not very impressed with him. On my next visit, there were no issues at all.... (I suspect the groundsman knew this would happen. No idea if he really would have "unlocked" the door with the hammer!)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can I ask if other members have had this concern, and if so how have they solved it?
The gym I use has recently started to encourage 16 - 18 year olds to use the facility. No problem with encouraging a healthy life style, however, the children use the gym after school meaning about 3.15 - 3.30 each day a number, usually up to 10ish, use the changing rooms. This is often about the time I finish my daily session.
Given the RFU's strict "don't change with Under 18's" policy how can I ensure I am not putting myself at risk of any accusations when using the gym changing rooms. I have raised the issue with the gym management who were less than interested.
Any help and advise would be most welcome. A change of time using the gym would be very difficult given my working arrangements.

I can remember a time (a happier time as it happens) when this concern would not have even been raised.

In fact, it would not have crossed anyone's mind that this even was a concern.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I can remember a time (a happier time as it happens) when this concern would not have even been raised.

In fact, it would not have crossed anyone's mind that this even was a concern.
Wasn't that the Jimmy Saville era?!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wasn't that the Jimmy Saville era?!

Hardly fair OB. None of what we do today would have prevented a Jimmy Saville from doing what he did. Might have made it more difficult, but it wont stop a determined paedophile, as evidenced by the huge number of prosecutions annually... just the tip of a very large iceberg I am sure.

You protect kids by educating them, and making them aware of what is around them and building their confidence; these are parents' responsibilities, not legislators. In the Jimmy Saville era, people like Jimmy Saville were not talked out, especially to kids.

You can only offer short term protection to kids by wrapping them in cotton wool, very short term!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Wait, you get a place to change, and with a cup of tea, and a shower after the game?

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Wait, you get a place to change, and with a cup of tea, and a shower after the game?

And if your really lucky and the home team won you may also get a warm pie and a pint! That ma ybe warm aswell depending on the area of the country your in.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I was at a merchant navy school. The day we finished our A Levels the Head would shake our hands and say "Off you go then". We then got three days to get as far way from the school as we could using our own means. There was a map in the assembly room marking each boy's progress..
Well? I'm dying to know - who got the furthest?

My dad tells a similar story of when he was in National Service; the one who got furthest away from camp won. Some hitched lifts, some "borrowed" bikes, some stowed away on trains etc.

I suspect a bit of poetic license, but according to my dad one of them knew someone at an RAF base and blagged his way onto a plane to Hong Kong. I really hope it's a true story. :biggrin:

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well? I'm dying to know - who got the furthest? My dad tells a similar story of when he was in National Service; the one who got furthest away from camp won. Some hitched lifts, some "borrowed" bikes, some stowed away on trains etc. I suspect a bit of poetic license, but according to my dad one of them knew someone at an RAF base and blagged his way onto a plane to Hong Kong. I really hope it's a true story. :biggrin:
I heard a similar story, though in my case it was the USA. On a similar line of thought, when I was in the uSA we had the right to use RAF Indulgence Flights ie if therre was a free space, you paid £12 to fly. A colleague's wife took the family home to visit her mother on one such flight, and when she came to Brize Norton to return, discovered that they could go to Hong Kong for£12 (each), so they did - and phoned my colleague from there.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Taff
The year before me, someone got onto a North Sea Production Rig, one of the Statfjord ones (I recall he pulled some merchant marine strings with a supply boat company). I was not even in that league.