University of Surrey 1s

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just got a reappointment for Weds as my original women's game has been cancelled. Now down for Uni of Surrey 1s v Brighton Uni 1s in BUSA South East 2A. Guildford is a bit outside my normal patch even for college games and I know nothing of either side. Anyone got any info?

I've done other 2A games and always found them a good challenge. Hopefully this will be another.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yes, refereed them the other week in BUSA against Brunel 2s.

They are not a bad side, but were suffering from a lack of cohesion. Although having said that they are not averse to pushing the boundaries of the Law!

Their skipper is an ex-Marine and very amenable, but needs to be advised what is going on!

They have a french player that I red carded - for two yellow card offences. The first was for persistent blocking (although he claimed it was accidental) and the second was for getting involved in a fracas and throwing a punch. Post match, in which they received a drubbing, one of their spectators remonstrated that I had ruined the match by sending their player off.

They also took exception to my not stopping play for every injury. Classic example, player on the touchline receiving treatment, Surrey have a line-out 30m away and I call "Clock is running, let's play!". "But we have a man down ref!", "He's off the pitch receiving treatment, do want to replace him as it isn't a blood injury?" etc etc

Brighton Uni are quite a useful side too. Well disciplined, but are blighted by injury. They should edge the result.

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Cheers for that beckett50. Really good game, despite poor visibility and constant rain. Managed to get a good running game with both teams quite keen to make use of advantage to avoid constant stoppages. Quite a bit of indiscipline in the first 20 with silly penalties for offside and killing the ball but luckily the warnings worked and the game opened up.

Surrey edged into a 12-0 lead with some excellent back play in first half and thats how it stayed until the last 15 mins. Some good Surrey tactical kicking frequently got them camping in Brighton's 22 and Surrey nearly scored peeling off a maul until the hooker managed to knock on while crossing the try line. Told me after that I'd denied him his first try in 9 years - but he agreed that it was a small KO and he didn't bother to argue as i was in a perfect position to judge!

Brighton did well but couldn't secure possession from penalties as their line-out was weaker. However they got a deserved try in the last 2 mins from a charge down in-goal. Overall line-out weaknesses cost them when it mattered and their backs were not as fluid as Surrey's. Some poor decision making too.

I noted your point about injuries. Sadly the Brighton pack was a lot bigger and smarter and we got a FR neck injury bang in the middle of the pitch - so time off for 20 mins! Nothing serious, but the obligatory ambulance came. Thank goodness the hospital was so close. Got him sorted, off the pitch and could finish the game in reasonable light.

Final score 19-7 to Surrey. Both teams happy with my work and some good hospitality afterwards. Makes reffing in such awful conditions worthwhile!

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
beckett ..
"They have a french player that I red carded - for two yellow card offences. The first was for persistent blocking (although he claimed it was accidental) and the second was for getting involved in a fracas and throwing a punch. Post match, in which they received a drubbing, one of their spectators remonstrated that I had ruined the match by sending their player off."

would you have red carded the player for the other way round i.e. punch = YC (no issue) ... then repeat offences for blocking ... YC = RC now?

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
interesting also that in my uni match i had similar complaints about play on thru injuries and replacements taking time to put on shirts etc ..
and lots of offside from kicks ...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Injuries :

well done Beckett, man after my own heart. I am getting fed up with adult teams that expect me to stop play every time a player is down allegedly injured.

I make a quick visual check and assess severity - player on feet rubbing shoulder, or on one knee = play on, player on ground not moving, or writhing in agony and screaming = immediate stop.
So unless there is a break in play - line-out, scrum, etc - I will not stop. I have sanctioned physios in pre-match brief to come on and treat players and alert me to any serious injury.
Like you I call "we are still playing, clock running, and I want to maintan coninuity", especially on attack in 22m.

Likewise with replacements, unless they are stripped and ready to come on - they can wait.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Sadly the Brighton pack was a lot bigger and smarter and we got a FR neck injury bang in the middle of the pitch - so time off for 20 mins! Nothing serious, but the obligatory ambulance came. Thank goodness the hospital was so close. Got him sorted, off the pitch and could finish the game in reasonable light.

If it was Surrey Uni , your are referring to A&E at Royal Surrey Hospital Guildford I assume.

Currently due to NHS Trust cut-backs one of three Surrey hospitals (Guildford, St Peter's Chertsey and Frimley is likely to have the A&E closed. The favourite to go is Guildford !

Even if the ambulances get to the pitch quickly, injured players are going to face longer ambulance journeys to A&E and longer waiting times when they get there !

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Injuries : I make a quick visual check and assess severity - player on feet rubbing shoulder, or on one knee = play on, player on ground not moving, or writhing in agony and screaming = immediate stop.

Had this a few weeks ago. Blue attacking scrum, on half way, back row move pierces defence. Looking back, see Blue tight-head prop static on ground, with Red lucy kneeling and waving at me. Blow hard as Ble No. 8, with good support, was taking on the Red full back on the 22.

Blue prop down for four minutes, and played no further part. Severe damage to ribs and shoulder. Set an attacking scrum at 22m - was moaned at by Blue skipper for having failed to allow play to continue when they were in a scoring position.

I did wonder about playing on - injured player was a long way away. What swung it for me was that the Red players tending him had taken themselves out of the game in the player's interests - I felt it was a selfless gesture that required me to take it seriously.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
some captains eh? just put you in a lose/ lose situation

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Red Lucy can see a try coming, and can see an excuse to stop play when it presents itself.

Or is that overly cynical?

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Simon - Yes it was Guildford hospital so I could see it through the trees. I was fearing someone saying that although the hospital was so close the ambulance would have to come from Croydon or somewhere miles away.

Like others, I've started to crack down on the injury front as it does seem to be an increasing habit to slow down play. I have now given warnings to skippers but not yet penalised it as a stern warning does seem to work. I sense they want to see what wool they can pull over your eyes on that day....