Unofficial referee signals?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ah...so you didn't like the answer I gave to your scenario...so are coming up with another one.
How many scenarios are we going to go through until you get the answer you want to fit your narrative?

Sorry, not playing that game.
But it's your game ! You started the game in post 52 :cool:

I was wondering if I could find a similar scenario, but where safety was your priority.

the law ref BTW, is 6.8.h

6.8 The referee carries a whistle and blows it:
h. When it would be dangerous to let play continue [...]

Last edited:

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
But it's your game ! You started the game in post 52 :cool:

I was wondering if I could find a similar scenario, but where safety was your priority.

the law ref BTW, is 6.8.h

6.8 The referee carries a whistle and blows it:
h. When it would be dangerous to let play continue [...]
This has to be within reason though crossref. The whole “safety trumps everything!” can only lead to the conclusion that we shouldn’t play the game at all. There is risk that players assume by playing the game and we can only do so much as referees to mitigate that risk while keeping a good game going.
Also, if I have enough time to blow my whistle to save an unsuspecting player from getting clattered when he thought he had a mark, I probably have enough time to shout “live ball!” or “play on!”.
Depending on the age and level of play, I could be open to stopping play once in a game in this scenario, “for safety”, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I would explain what is required to actually call a mark. After that, it’s on the players.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the scenario I am saying is dangerous is when a player is holding the ball, genuinely believing the ball is dead, and is about to be clattered unexpectedly by an opponent he hasn't seen coming.

this is not a once-a-game thing ! It's a once in a blue moon thing !

I would blow my whistle every single time .. and can't remember the last time I had to do that. Perhaps I never have...

I am surprised that anyone would simply let that clattering happen, asnd I suggest that if an injury happend it would not be comfortable for you to explain.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
the scenario I am saying is dangerous is when a player is holding the ball, genuinely believing the ball is dead, and is about to be clattered unexpectedly by an opponent he hasn't seen coming.

this is not a once-a-game thing ! It's a once in a blue moon thing !

I would blow my whistle every single time .. and can't remember the last time I had to do that. Perhaps I never have...

I am surprised that anyone would simply let that clattering happen, asnd I suggest that if an injury happend it would not be comfortable for you to explain.
Well, as I explained in my post:

I indicated to the player that I was not awarding the mark as a 'fair catch' isn't something that exists in rugby.
The chasing players had the right to effect the tackle that they made.

Which I think is an entirely defensible position.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my dangerous scenario is

when a player is holding the ball, genuinely believing the ball is dead, and is about to be clattered unexpectedly by an opponent he hasn't seen coming

In Phil's case he was certain that the player hadn't called for a mark, and therefore he wasn't under the impression that the ball was dead.
So (from Phil's perspective) the first part didn't apply, so I can understand why Phil didn't blow.

In your case you knew the player had called mark (but not at the right moment )

So, as far as I understand it, the first part did apply

I don't know from your description whether the second part did.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
my dangerous scenario is

In Phil's case he was certain that the player hadn't called for a mark, and therefore he wasn't under the impression that the ball was dead.
So (from Phil's perspective) the first part didn't apply, so I can understand why Phil didn't blow.

In your case you knew the player had called mark (but not at the right moment )

So, as far as I understand it, the first part did apply

I don't know from your description whether the second part did.
I had a game where the full back, as soon as the kick went up, called "mark", much as they call "fair catch" in American Football.

I was yelling at him "you call mark when you catch it", which he ignored. Clattering ensued.

He knew the ball was live.

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Back on topic.

Hands on ground seems a common signal.

(Two hands together pushing down).

Used tonight Crusaders v Brumbies, 13min game time for off feet playing ball.

I’ve also seen it used for when someone puts hands on ground before going for ball at ruck breakdow.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've also seen "Crawling" used a few times recently.

All this reminds me of dance moves from the 90s, 'big fish, little fish cardboard box'.
Just count yourself lucky you can't remember the moves of the 70s!!

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In those instances where there is ambiguity, such as a dropped ball that doesn't go forward, I appreciate it when the referee loudly calls "Play on!!".

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In those instances where there is ambiguity, such as a dropped ball that doesn't go forward, I appreciate it when the referee loudly calls "Play on!!".
I have started to call try and both call 'play on' and make a 'play on' signal (at least it's what I've seen the more experienced community refs doing and I try and copy their movements) - hard to describe but basically start with hands at about waist height, then rotate outwards until they are out by the sides.

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Loud call of 'Play on' usually works, any signal is for TV/large crowds where they cannot hear the ref directly.

I like the soccer Premier League refs arms both up, and forward. Like herding chickens.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Loud call of 'Play on' usually works, any signal is for TV/large crowds where they cannot hear the ref directly.

I like the soccer Premier League refs arms both up, and forward. Like herding chickens.
and for (ahem) tiny crowds and touchline coaches who can't hear the ref directly

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have started to call try and both call 'play on' and make a 'play on' signal (at least it's what I've seen the more experienced community refs doing and I try and copy their movements) - hard to describe but basically start with hands at about waist height, then rotate outwards until they are out by the sides.
we call that the "f@cked if I know what happened there? Play on." signal.
Or more politely for our english friends - "I do not know what I just saw. I'm confused what just happened. Lets do play on"

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I like to think it means "I have seen the incident to which you are referring, I have considered it with regard to the laws of the game, I have factored in how material it was considering the level of game, skill levels and behaviour of players up to this point, I have judged it not worthy of any sanction and now I am wondering why some of the players seem confused or are appealing for some random infringement: I'll call 'play on' to avoid any confusion in their short-term thinking and make it seem as if I am in total control (although I might have missed something)"