Unpick this...

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

How did the referee get on?

Can't seem to embed it on my phone... if a mod could help me out that would be great... ta!

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think there was more than a few players throwing punches in that sequence, but I didn't see any sucker punches or what I would describe as a "third man in"/king hit. It's hard to determine what was going on in a couple of the incidents that went to ground, but it's always going to be a struggle to sort out something like that. Too many places to look at once!

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think there was more than a few players throwing punches in that sequence, but I didn't see any sucker punches or what I would describe as a "third man in"/king hit. It's hard to determine what was going on in a couple of the incidents that went to ground, but it's always going to be a struggle to sort out something like that. Too many places to look at once!

There was a sequence when one player was being held by one opponent and punched by another, but didn't get the numbers... Two (at one point three) Yellows and a Red and White hoop.

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I got Yellow 2 throwing several shots, is that the bit you mean RobLev?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I got Yellow 2 throwing several shots, is that the bit you mean RobLev?

At 0:36, the Yellow #8 is holding onto the Red/White (?number?); there's another Yellow player, whose number I can't see/make out (Edit: - He's not got one) punching him, and another Yellow joins in as well as the group move back and to the right.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tackler is RC, stone cold.

Also, the Gold player with no number and grey headgear. He is RC for me, and in the Judiciary, he should be gone for a long time. I count at least nine punches on the same player/victim before he goes out of view in the RHS of the screen at 0:41

RoblLev, I think you're not getting the number because he doesn't have one. Wind back from 0:41; is this the player you are talking about?.

Last edited:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Tackler is RC, stone cold.

Also, the Gold player with no number and grey headgear. He is RC for me, and in the Judiciary, he should be gone for a long time. I count at least nine punches on the same player/victim before he goes out of view in the RHS of the screen at 0:41

RoblLev, I think you're not getting the number because he doesn't have one. Wind back from 0:41; is this the player you are talking about?.

That's him; scrumcap and no number. He'd been putting himself about a bit before then as well.

I'd have the #8 as well, for holding onto nunumber's target.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Fortunately that level of fight has never happened in any game I've had.
There seemed to be an official team of three so I would be hoping they could pick out two or three others after the tackle for red card.
I would hope I could get a couple off from each team but on your own it would be a struggle and I,d be telling both captains any repetition and I would abandon the game on player safety grounds.
I don,t need that sh*t on a Saturday afternoon and I'd be off. Let the Blazers sort it out

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Fun for the citing officer!

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
On first viewing the one that caught my eye was yellow 13, about 0.35. He was having a scuffle with someone, broke loose then ran into the red players to have another go. :rc:

Everything else, blimey, where would you start? I think I read in the thread 2 RC, I would say the teams got off lightly with that.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
is that an offence?

Law 10.4(m), if nothing else. It's hardly sporting to hold a man's arms while a team-mate hits him. Or, if you can ignore the fact that the whistle had gone repeatedly, 10.4(f):

[LAWS]Playing an opponent without the ball. Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push or obstruct an opponent not carrying the ball. [/LAWS]

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
In the early days I would have found the cards, and tried to continue. As I get older, I get more into the view of: Fights like this are not for the ref to deal with. Take notes, end the game, file the report, and trust the disciplinary and competition committees to do their jobs properly. Will help eradicate this kind of crap from the game far quicker than a few red cards. The clubs need to learn the cost of having idiots in their teams.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Surprised no-one has mentioned the fat, bald dude in the red & white who runs in which is when things really start to heat up. He's not the 3rd man in, but he is the one who causes the actual brawl.

Tackler = RC
Fat, bald dude = RC

Will need another look to check the guys Ian and Rob have identified

Give the yellow player with the long pony-tail a RC for being a dickhead at the end of the video as well.

Still haven't got to the other 2 yet:wink:

Last edited:

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Doesn't the conversation in this thread illustrate the point though? Community refs don't have access to instant replay or TMO's or even competent AR's sometimes. When something goes down on this level you have one look at it real time and are expected to get the right sanctions out. I think sometimes all you can get is the initial offence and then step back to try and catch the really nasty stuff as opposed to the one on one "hockey fights". If something got this big in a game I think you'd have to consider calling it off wouldn't you? If you're considering 4-5 red cards (which is what I read across the opinions above) then is the game really in a place where it needs to continue?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I don,t need that sh*t on a Saturday afternoon and I'd be off. Let the Blazers sort it out

Good answer, I agree

However try my approach:

I'd strip down my underoos, pile my shoes, then socks, then shorts, then jersey, and whistle in a pile and head off to my car.
When they go to start the game and look for me, they would think I vanished.

Then a quick stop at Walmart for shorts and a T, then to drive thru at Burger King to spend game fees.

Unless of course it was a women's game; I'd keep me socks on.

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would talk to both captains - issue any reds that I was sure about, explain that this had gone way beyond a "game" and blow the whistle to end the game...I would however keep my clothes on as me bearing all might hurt someone more. ;)

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Definitely keep your clothes on... Rugby is a winter sport and the chill factor might give the ladies the wrong impression....