Unusual Incidents

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a companion to DocY's 'this week's cock up' thread -- a thread for those odd/unusual/entertaining things that happen on a rugby field.

this one, which happened in my game last week, I'll give you in the form of a puzzle

Red kick the game off and, seconds later, without any contact at all between the players, I award a PK to Red -- which they convert for a three point lead.

Can you guess what Blue did to give away such a quick PK ?

Last edited:

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blue had 16 or more players on the field of play

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
nope!

(good guess - although that would have been a PK on the centre mark- a long way for a shot at goal)

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
deliberate obstruction - blue player gets in the way of red kicker/chaser?....Am I getting warm?? :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
warmer, but no it wasn't exactly obstruction...

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Blue knock on, then blue plays from offside position?

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
ooooohh.....I got it....blue standing between 10m and half way line at kick off....:D

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Unusual situation.

5m from gold in-goal, red ball carrier is spun around in an attempted tackle/avoiding being tackled, off loads ball to a teammate directly in front of him who catches the ball and touches it down. I gave a PK, for offside, the coach was not happy, did I get this right?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Blue knock on, then blue plays from offside position?

That would be my first guess, followed by deliberate throwing ball off the field. Probably unusual to have abuse of the ref that early in the game (bu I cannot remember what your PMB consisys of!). Offside under 10m Law?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Unusual situation.

5m from gold in-goal, red ball carrier is spun around in an attempted tackle/avoiding being tackled, off loads ball to a teammate directly in front of him who catches the ball and touches it down. I gave a PK, for offside, the coach was not happy, did I get this right?

From your description a perfectly fair decision, given that Red's teammate reacted like that to having the ball thrown at him. The coach was wearing tinted lenses. If he had just caught it sort of automatically, then scrum may have been more equitable.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
As a companion to DocY's 'this week's cock up' thread -- a thread for those odd/unusual/entertaining things that happen on a rugby field.

this one, which happened in my game last week, I'll give you in the form of a puzzle

Red kick the game off and, seconds later, without any contact at all between the players, I award a PK to Red -- which they convert for a three point lead.

Yeah, I'm also going with red kick off, probably somewhere between oppo's 10m & 22m lines where a player loses/knocks the ball forward and a team mate in an offside position gathers the ball which prevents the chasing red players from getting the ball. PK to red within kicking range.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Blue #8 was about to catch ball and a passing seagull shits right on his face. Blue #11 asks him if he wants a tissue. Blue #8 replies "don't bother, the seagull will be miles away by now".

Penalty: impersonating Benny Hill without a licence.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Unusual situation.

A bit harsh, I would think. Player was disoriented. Its just a forward pass. Scrum, for me

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
What about red kick off with high ball towards sideline. Ball is going to land inside 10 and dumb blue winger catches the ball 9m from halfway and close to touch line. Not being sure of the laws, and thinking his team is going to get a scrum back at centre for ball not going 10, throws the ball into touch.
Red kicker nails a great PK from 41+m��

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A bit harsh, I would think. Player was disoriented. Its just a forward pass. Scrum, for me

I agree, that is harsh, and it might even count as a Law error...

[LAWS]11.1 OFFSIDE IN GENERAL PLAY
(a) A player who is in an offside position is liable to sanction only if the player does one of three
things:
• Interferes with play or,
• Moves forward, towards the ball or
• Fails to comply with the 10-Metre Law (Law 11.4).
A player who is in an offside position is not automatically penalised.
A player who receives an unintentional throw forward is not offside.
A player can be offside in the in-goal.
[/LAWS]

YMMV

PS: Disorientation can be a bugger. In a Rugby League match, I once saw a player get spun around in a tackle. He stood up facing the wrong way and played the ball to his opposing marker! IIRC it was at the 2013 RWLC

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Blue #8 was still wearing the illegal studs you'd asked him to change before the game???

Leggings!!!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Red kicked quite long and high, and the ball came down around blue's 22m

- Blue attmepted to make a catch but knocked on - the ball travelling about 2-3m forward, toward the oncoming red players

- but just before the first red player got there, an offside blue player picked up the ball

Red took the 3 points and so were in the unusual position of being 3-0 up, having played the ball just twice ( the two kicks) and hadn't otherwise touched the ball or even come into contact with a blue player.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Having horror flashbacks to my first game of rugby.
13 years old and recruited from the school RL team to make up the numbers for annual inter-school match against Punchbowl High (city slickers from Sydney).
So I'm thrown into the No.10 jumper and no-one has clued me up that it is the sole intention of the opposition flanker to kill the No.10. The opposing 13 or 14 year old???????? flankers are sporting full beards (WTF? I was as hairless as a day old joey) and are possibly 15kg bigger than yours truly.
Ball kicked deep by Punchbowl and I'm running back towards my own goal line chasing the bouncing ball. I can hear what sounds like a herd of wilderbeast from behind and glance to see big, bad and bearded closing fast. The ball pops up to about head height and I'm thinking, "F#%$ THIS!!!", and reach out and knock the ball into touch, the 2nd thing they forgot to tell me.

Getting back to the OP, shitting himself little guy (blue) deliberately throws the ball into touch to avoid being trampled by "straight out of Her Majesty's Prison" red player. PK to red in kickable position. Absolutely possible scenario.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Red kicked quite long and high, and the ball came down around blue's 22m

- Blue attmepted to make a catch but knocked on - the ball travelling about 2-3m forward, toward the oncoming red players

- but just before the first red player got there, an offside blue player picked up the ball

Red took the 3 points and so were in the unusual position of being 3-0 up, having played the ball just twice ( the two kicks) and hadn't otherwise touched the ball or even come into contact with a blue player.

Do I get the chocolates for post #11?