Unusual Incidents

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Perfectly fine to overrule the TJ, whether club appointed or not. I recently overruled a TJ when they didn't put their flag up but I had seen aplayers foot go into touch (coincidentally the player in touch was from the TJ's team :smile:). All accepted in good grace.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perfectly fine to overrule the TJ, whether club appointed or not. I recently overruled a TJ when they didn't put their flag up but I had seen aplayers foot go into touch (coincidentally the player in touch was from the TJ's team :smile:). All accepted in good grace.

it's easy to over-rule a TJ who doesn't put his flag up, that's easy to manage
yelling 'play on' when a TJ does put his flag up, that's a lot more problematic and not usually advisable.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys! :)
it's easy to over-rule a TJ who doesn't put his flag up, that's easy to manage
yelling 'play on' when a TJ does put his flag up, that's a lot more problematic and not usually advisable.

I think that's the more interesting point. I was fortunate that, despite players' claims to the contrary, the flag up did not affect play.

If the winger had, say, been in a one-on-one with the fullback, who saw the flag (and I didn't, so wouldn't have shouted 'play on') and stopped playing it would have been much trickier.

I can only see you allowing the try, or giving a scrum - and whichever decision you give it would unduly benefit one team or the other.

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
On the subject of unusual incidents and cross-field kicks.....

I recently had an attacking Yellow 5m scrum, 5m from the left hand touch line . The ball squirted out of the back and, under pressure from Blue 9, Yellow 9 tried a cross kick from about 10m out from the try line. Only he squirted it of the outside of his right boot and it did go across the pitch, but also backwards where the Blue winger ran forward and caught it just short of the 22. And he called Mark.

Usually, if it looks wrong I start searching the memory banks for reasons why I should change my mind, and it certainly looked wrong but I couldn’t come up with a reason not to give the mark. Quite why he didn’t keep running forward with the ball I don’t know…

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys! :)

I think that's the more interesting point. I was fortunate that, despite players' claims to the contrary, the flag up did not affect play.

It would be unusual situation for a flag-up not to affect play. But obviously it's possible, and in that case you've got options

normally a flag up would definitely affect play, and I don't think you can then shout play on. I think you have no alternative but stop, order a scrum and sack the TJ.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bumping an old thread I used to enjoy

My unusual event from yesterday.. at a conversion: a successful charge down

Can't remember the last time I saw that

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

It usually happens when the kicker starts his run-up and then hesitates or tries to reset. I've seen it happen when the ball falls off the tee after the kicker has started his run-up.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I've only had it once since lockdown. And I think only seen it at youth matches in the last few years

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

Were you refereeing Toby Flood?!

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
On the subject of unusual incidents and cross-field kicks.....

I recently had an attacking Yellow 5m scrum, 5m from the left hand touch line . The ball squirted out of the back and, under pressure from Blue 9, Yellow 9 tried a cross kick from about 10m out from the try line. Only he squirted it of the outside of his right boot and it did go across the pitch, but also backwards where the Blue winger ran forward and caught it just short of the 22. And he called Mark.

Usually, if it looks wrong I start searching the memory banks for reasons why I should change my mind, and it certainly looked wrong but I couldn’t come up with a reason not to give the mark. Quite why he didn’t keep running forward with the ball I don’t know…

With this thread coming back to life, I took at look at this last few posts and this caught my eye, primarily because in last year's six nations a player called a mark after catching his team mates kick... the commentators said it was legit because the laws don't say anything about who kicked the ball, however, they were wrong, and the mark should not have been awarded:

17.1.b
To claim a mark, a player must:
Catch a ball that has reached the plane of the 22-metre line directly from an opponent’s kick before it touches the ground or another player...

Regarding @Wedgie situation, I'm not sure what the laws stated in 2017.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Today...
Crouch!
Bind!
"Sir, Sir, Sir"
Peep, yes, what's the problem?

The hooker bent down and after a brief scrabble in the ground handed me a 50cm metal spike with a hoop at the end. "Don't think this should be on a rugby pitch, Sir"

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
With this thread coming back to life, I took at look at this last few posts and this caught my eye, primarily because in last year's six nations a player called a mark after catching his team mates kick... the commentators said it was legit because the laws don't say anything about who kicked the ball, however, they were wrong, and the mark should not have been awarded:

17.1.b
To claim a mark, a player must:
Catch a ball that has reached the plane of the 22-metre line directly from an opponent’s kick before it touches the ground or another player...

Regarding @Wedgie situation, I'm not sure what the laws stated in 2017.

DEFINITIONS
To make a mark, a player must be on or behind that player’s 22-metre line. A
player with one foot on the 22-metre line or behind it is considered to be ‘in the
22’. The player must make a clean catch direct from an opponent’s kick and at the
same time shout “Mark”. A mark cannot be made from a kick-off, or a restart kick
except for a drop-out.
A kick is awarded for a mark. The place for the kick is the place of the mark.
A player may make a mark even though the ball touched a goal post or crossbar
before being caught.
A player from the defending team may make a mark in in-goal.

There is no 17.1 (18.1 back in those days) in to book.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
It usually happens when the kicker starts his run-up and then hesitates or tries to reset. I've seen it happen when the ball falls off the tee after the kicker has started his run-up.
I saw this at a level 4 game this last week. The kicker had one of those daft run ups, whereby they start, then stop, then continue to kick. Works well when you’re a distance out, but he took a conversion really close to the posts, and still did the start/stop thing. Didn’t end well. Level 4 !!!!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a nice one yesterday

In the first half red had a lineout 10m from the green line. Green did that irritating not-competing, not-forming-a-maul thing, and red, taken by surprise, duly conceded a scrum by moving forwards with ball at the back.

In the second half red had a line out about 6 or 7m from the green line. Green did that irritating not-competing, not-forming a-maul thing, and red, not taken by surprise this time, brought the ball carrier to ground, half second pause, and ball carrier turned round and sprinted to the line pretty much unopposed for a try.

Fool me once .. etc etc

I couldn't help but smile

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Put my watch on yesterday... It was completely dead, battery had gone.
Tense moment while I searched my bag for the spare watch that i knew should be there . It was ! Phew

Then on the pitch later immediately before ko one team went back to the changing rooms and came out with different shirts ... Very similar to mine.

Quick dash over to my pitch- side bag and change of shirt

Motto .. be prepared

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I always wear two watches.
I always have a spare whistle in my pocket.
I always have two or three pencils.
I always go into the changing rooms and ask to look at the shirts before I decide what to wear, because even of they tell you it's one colour, it can end up being predominantly another colour.

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I am one for overprepared-ness.
Have 3 watches. 2 for wrists, one back up.
4 whistles but in 2 different tones. Carry the same tone in metal and plastic on the pitch. The other tone is there just in case there is a match on a pitch next to mine so I have a different sound to the other ref on that pitch.
Pencils, pencil sharpeners, couple of coins for the toss. 2 sets of cards. Have a boot bag that I keep all this stuff in pitch side.
4 society shirts. Flags.
Pack my bag methodically.
None of this makes me a better ref :LOL: just satisfies some form of mild OCD 🤪

So with all of that this weekend, temp has dropped, thinking that's fine have base layers for under shirt. Open bag 😲. They never got packed. One of the kids moved them after they were washed and I had a brain fart. Was rather nippy but once I got moving it wasn't too bad 🥶🥵

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I am one for overprepared-ness.
Have 3 watches. 2 for wrists, one back up.
4 whistles but in 2 different tones. Carry the same tone in metal and plastic on the pitch. The other tone is there just in case there is a match on a pitch next to mine so I have a different sound to the other ref on that pitch.
Pencils, pencil sharpeners, couple of coins for the toss. 2 sets of cards. Have a boot bag that I keep all this stuff in pitch side.
4 society shirts. Flags.
Pack my bag methodically.
None of this makes me a better ref :LOL: just satisfies some form of mild OCD 🤪

So with all of that this weekend, temp has dropped, thinking that's fine have base layers for under shirt. Open bag 😲. They never got packed. One of the kids moved them after they were washed and I had a brain fart. Was rather nippy but once I got moving it wasn't too bad 🥶🥵

Just about ditto apart from the flags and different whistles. Just Acme Thunderer 558s. 1 reversible shirt and 2x others.

By the way it's not OCD it's CDO - in alphabetical order as it should be.