USA Rugby - bankrupt

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
For those who may be keeping an eye on the "sleeping giant" of World Rugby, the Board of Directors and the Congress just voted to proceed with Chapter 11 bankruptcy filings on the part of USA Rugby.

Years of mismanagement and bad governance coming home to roost.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
For those who may be keeping an eye on the "sleeping giant" of World Rugby, the Board of Directors and the Congress just voted to proceed with Chapter 11 bankruptcy filings on the part of USA Rugby.

Never mind, we'll be there to keep you company :usa::aus:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A massive shame Let's hope it all resolves.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
assuming is is now going tits up... where does that elave rugby in the USA? From gerassroots upwards?

didds

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Seriously?

I thought that they had some big $ sponsors. IIRC there was talk a few years back of getting one George Bush (Jr) to be President or CEO.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Seriously?

I thought that they had some big $ sponsors. IIRC there was talk a few years back of getting one George Bush (Jr) to be President or CEO.

Beckett

great stuff, please use sarcasm emoji next time, you really had me goin

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
assuming is is now going tits up... where does that elave rugby in the USA? From gerassroots upwards?

didds

we are all in the same place, no rugby till vaccine, tits up or not, we are all pha kited

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

I suspect you are correct, but this is multi variant problem. Are mismanagement and bad governance the main problem? I personally find our soft, wealthy, lazy society as the problem. Not sure how to measure that however.

What is worst example of mismanagement or bad governance in USA rugby?

It seems to me "the fastest growing sport" must of had some management of some governance to be "the fastest growing sport". Which is the "silliest growing claim", cause it is done growing now.
'

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
if a sport has only 1 follower and a day later has 10, it is probably "the fastest growing sport"

If two years later it has 30 it probably isn't the fastest growing sport.

but if the sport was full side rugby uinion, then it took two years to actually be able to play it despite its earlier frienzied takeup

Similarly sports such as baseball, softball, basketball etc dont have a chance of being a "fastest grouing sport" because the playing population is probably close to maximised already. And even an addition of 1000 players overnight is a tiny percentage I'd imagine of the baseline at that time.

The Devil is in the detail.

didds

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I suspect you are correct, but this is multi variant problem. Are mismanagement and bad governance the main problem? I personally find our soft, wealthy, lazy society as the problem. Not sure how to measure that however.

What is worst example of mismanagement or bad governance in USA rugby?

It seems to me "the fastest growing sport" must of had some management of some governance to be "the fastest growing sport". Which is the "silliest growing claim", cause it is done growing now.
'

There are two - well, two and a half - things:

1. The financials show that the HP Men's team massively overspent against budget at the World Cup - and since. This is the second time it has happened. It meant there was very little money left for operating expenses.
2. The money invested in RIM that got sold on for cents on the dollar.
3. Spending of sponsors money that was meant to be dedicated to College Championships on other operating expenses.
3. Inability to pay constituent Unions the money due them as membership fees for their members.
4. A loan from WR from a year or two ago that couldn't be repaid.
5. Thereby necessitating a new loan from WR that essentially gives them close to control over USA R.
6. The claim of being "the fastest growing sport" was...dubious at best.

Donk93953

Post Likes
I would include past board members involved in blatant "self dealing."
They looked to line their own pockets at the expense of USA Rugby.

Time to "lawyer up"...

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I may be cynical but this might be a good time for any union that is struggling to declare themselves bankrupt. As with most companies there will be assets ready for another organisation to take over at a suitable time to take over the roles and responsibilities, with new directors (some may be old ones hired by the new body) in place and a slightly different mandate and focus. Could be that we see a plethora of phoenix rising from the ashes in sporting clubs and organisations around the world. For some this could be the best thing that has happened allowing a full reboot but with all the assets and knowledge for what they didn't get right last time already in place.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I may be cynical but this might be a good time for any union that is struggling to declare themselves bankrupt. As with most companies there will be assets ready for another organisation to take over at a suitable time to take over the roles and responsibilities, with new directors (some may be old ones hired by the new body) in place and a slightly different mandate and focus. Could be that we see a plethora of phoenix rising from the ashes in sporting clubs and organisations around the world. For some this could be the best thing that has happened allowing a full reboot but with all the assets and knowledge for what they didn't get right last time already in place.

and maybe even some government funding to help with the rebuild?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
There are two - well, two and a half - things:

1. The financials show that the HP Men's team massively overspent against budget at the World Cup - and since. This is the second time it has happened. It meant there was very little money left for operating expenses.
2. The money invested in RIM that got sold on for cents on the dollar.
3. Spending of sponsors money that was meant to be dedicated to College Championships on other operating expenses.
3. Inability to pay constituent Unions the money due them as membership fees for their members.
4. A loan from WR from a year or two ago that couldn't be repaid.
5. Thereby necessitating a new loan from WR that essentially gives them close to control over USA R.
6. The claim of being "the fastest growing sport" was...dubious at best.

7. United World Sports Lawsuit

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

didds

Adult Club - In my area the Empire Geographic Union is meeting (virtually) to determine if they will go off on their own, or join new National association of unions.

Collegiate - The National Small College Rugby Organization has changed to National Collegiate Rugby Organization in an effort to encompass more large colleges and universities. They have secured their own insurance coverage and intend to break away from USAR.

Referee Society - For the past couple years USAR paid for a membership to WhosTheRef, this has expired, and our access will soon be revoked. We will need to purchase this service as we previously had. Insurance coverage is up in the air, our coverage though membership in USAR may be ending, and we will need to obtain our own coverage.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
7. United World Sports Lawsuit

Adult Club - In my area the Empire Geographic Union is meeting (virtually) to determine if they will go off on their own, or join new National association of unions.

Collegiate - The National Small College Rugby Organization has changed to National Collegiate Rugby Organization in an effort to encompass more large colleges and universities. They have secured their own insurance coverage and intend to break away from USAR.

Referee Society - For the past couple years USAR paid for a membership to WhosTheRef, this has expired, and our access will soon be revoked. We will need to purchase this service as we previously had. Insurance coverage is up in the air, our coverage though membership in USAR may be ending, and we will need to obtain our own coverage.
The lawsuit wasn't mismanagement, it was just a thing.

If Empire bail, the Ch 11 revenue forecasts are off. I already think they have NCRO in there, which means they'll have to do a deal wit Cohen to bring him back into the fold. And he has no need to do that. Negotiations are underway.

You don't need WTR. You can use Excel, as we have for years with no issue, or Rockie Mountain have an...interesting piece of tech