[Scrum] "Use it"

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
The laws say the referee should call "use it" when the ball is at the number 8's feet, but since the beginning of this season the laws have also said that the 8 can pick the ball up if he can reach it (though admittedly that's how it has been refereed for years.)

So - can the referee call "use it" if the ball stays resolutely at the second rows' feet?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't see why not.
The whole point of "use it" is for when play stagnates.
This would seem like a prime example.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Law 19
26. When the scrum is stationary and the ball has been available at the back of the scrum for three-five seconds, the referee calls “use it”. The team must then play the ball out of the scrum immediately. Sanction: Scrum.

In my book the ball is not available at the back of the scrum if it is still in the second row.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In my book the ball is not available at the back of the scrum if it is still in the second row.

But they can now play the ball from that position so they 'can' use it. No 8 or SH can pick it up from there.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't see why not.
The whole point of "use it" is for when play stagnates.
This would seem like a prime example.

That was my thinking, but recently saw a referee leave the ball there for far longer than I would have expected and used the justification that it wasn't at the 8's feet. Maybe he liked refereeing scrums!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd love a change in the law to reduce the amount of time available after you call 'use it' or remove a time reference completely and allow referee judgement. So annoying when the game slows to a crawl because S/Hs use all available time ruck after ruck after ruck. Even if I call Use it quickly (or if you're NO "yooouse") then it can still be several seconds per ruck with the ball just sat available at the base while everyone lines up and waits. Snooooooooze.

I suppose I should thankful for a rest but I'd rather get the game going quicker.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'd love a change in the law to reduce the amount of time available after you call 'use it' or remove a time reference completely and allow referee judgement. So annoying when the game slows to a crawl because S/Hs use all available time ruck after ruck after ruck. Even if I call Use it quickly (or if you're NO "yooouse") then it can still be several seconds per ruck with the ball just sat available at the base while everyone lines up and waits. Snooooooooze.

I suppose I should thankful for a rest but I'd rather get the game going quicker.

Its the players game though. If they like to play slow boring rugby then that's their prerogative.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

and some in the past have expressed a view that if you have won the ball, you should be afforded time to set up the next phase of play to your best advantage. Not a fan myself.