[Ruck] "use it"

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kioj0_7WCxk

Interesting explanation from NO (starting at about 1.05 about the ruck at the very beginning of the clip) which has confused me almost as much as it appears to have confused Tomos Wiliams. I appreciate the main thrust is telling him to use his feet to roll the ball to the back rather than his hands but otherwise:

1. Is he saying that once the ball is available from the main body of the ruck and he has called "use it" he will allow a long ruck to then be constructed, allowing the 9 to move the ball to the back of a 'long ruck' providing he uses his feet or is he saying that even if the long ruck has already been constructed he will call "use it" when the ball gets beyond the hindmost point of the main body of the ruck?
2. Should we be calling "use it" when the ball is clearly won or when it gets to the back of the ruck if as in this clip the two aren't the same.
3. Should the 5 seconds start from the call of "use it" or when the ball is at the back of the ruck?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Law states "when available", so in my game, i'll call "use it" if they then start to form a long ruck the clock is still ticking. Just remember, what you see on TV is not real rugby, it's "show biz" :wink:

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A bit of a bugbear of mine yet I have only ever blown up for it once this season.
When contest is clearly over and it is available call "Use it". And I mentally count backwards "5,4,3,2,1,0" and award a scrum to team not in possession.
I see it a lot more in the dying 2 minutes of the game when a team is < 7 points in the lead and doesnt want to give up possession.
At such times, it is all too common for them to go off their feet at any rucks and keep the ball in the ruck for longer than 5 seconds after the "Use it".
Its not positive rugby and we should be on the lookout for it.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Spot on explanation from NO.

The #9 used his hands to bring the ball to the back of the 'caterpillar' ruck and so (under Law) the ball is out - under the up and moving mantra. However, IF the ball is trapped because his team has prevented the tackler rolling away then he will allow the #9 to use hands to dig out the ball and place it on the ground.

I would suggest that you only use the "Use it!" call if the ball is clearly available to be played away and the half-back is deliberately slowing play down - which is why the call was introduced in the first place.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The #9 used his hands to bring the ball to the back of the 'caterpillar' ruck and so (under Law) the ball is out - under the up and moving mantra.

can you explain what this means please and also what Law you are referring to?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The #9 used his hands to bring the ball to the back of the 'caterpillar' ruck and so (under Law) the ball is out - under the up and moving mantra. .

even if the ball isnt "up" ? ie its been rolled along the ground?

didds

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
can you explain what this means please and also what Law you are referring to?

Not sure if/where this is supported in the LotG, though it is in the USAR GMG:

5. Once the ball has been clearly won, the player in the scrumhalf position may only use their feet to move the ball to the back of the ruck, if they use their hands to move it to the back of the ruck the ball is considered to be out.

And, after we were told about this, i have noticed profesional SHs have started using their feet to roll the ball back rather than their hands.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I can tell you that all senior/professional referees are telling/encouraging SHs to do what NO said in the OP. When playing the ball back you have to use your feet snd keep your hands offe ball until you are ready to pass. If the SH has to dig the ball out then the expectation is that the ball is then moved away and not placed on the floor and played back/out again. This has been going on all season.
The annoying thing is that they do not seem to have cascaded this information down to players, clubs or local societies. Hence the ‘discussion’ with the SH in the video.