Value of the PMB?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Discussion topic for everyone... what is the value of the PMB when dealing with experienced players? Players already know we will use CBS at a scrum, they know they should have long binds, the scrum-half knows the ball should be straight, the fly-half knows he should maintain offside lines at first phase ball, they all know what picture we want to see at a breakdown, etc. Do players fully engage and listen during a PMB?

This was a topic of discussion at a recent Society meeting. There was unanimous agreement that the PMB should be an opportunity for both teams to ask questions and seek any clarifications from the referee, but many felt there was little gained from reciting the laws to experienced players.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
An important part for me is getting to know the captain for example is he the clear leader or just someone who has been pressed into the job

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If you say it in the PMB, NO-ONE can EVER then say "but you didn't SAY so".

THAT I'd suggest is the power of the PMB

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If you don't brief the front row, and someone does something bad, and there's a disaster, your lack of a brief will get mentioned, and not to your credit.

I think it's chance to sell to the teams. I've seen some referees deliver one, and the players were unimpressed - lost them before kick off. Equally I've seen some where rapport was built that the referee could fall back on during the game. "That wasn't what we agreed lads" "Sorry sir" and problem solved.

THere are 4 teams here, and 2 referees. I therefore see the same teams and captains. A lot. Still PMB them.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Front row briefing mandatory
I tell them how I mark lineout (because all refs do it different) and when the ball is out (ditto)
And that's basically it. Any questions?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mandatory for you or for them??
What do you do when they decline to be briefed?
Gosh that's something I have never thought of . Have you had that happen?

That would be a tricky situation

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Gosh that's something I have never thought of . Have you had that happen?

That would be a tricky situation
It hasn't happened me....but to be fair I never approach it like I'm 'entitled ' to speak to them (FR, 9 or anyone else ) because I know I'm not entitled! !

I always approach it casually and more make myself available to them than anything else.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mandatory for you or for them??
What do you do when they decline to be briefed?
We also have to check with forwards that they have been trained in MAYDAY

I wouldn't start the game if a team declined the PMB

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We also have to check with forwards that they have been trained in MAYDAY

I wouldn't start the game if a team declined the PMB
No MAYDAY in this neck of the woods.

Edit.....

Are you also supposed to check that they are suitably trained for FR?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So now I am looking for some reference on the PMB, and that it is mandatory. And can't find it.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think that you will find that your Society requires you to do it as best practice. Probably not written down, but I reckon that you will always get the same answer if you asked.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think that you will find that your Society requires you to do it as best practice. Probably not written down, but I reckon that you will always get the same answer if you asked.
Not mine.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Our instructions are very clear. It is mandatory here. So no PMB I am not doing the game. If they are not interested fine they can stand there and recite "Dinah" in their heads. I'm doing it and I'll use the "We spoke about it before the game..." line.

There again, sides around here are not that stupid.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think so too, but I am perplexed that I can't find that written down anywhere... Can you ?