Varsity Match

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
132nd Varsity Match on Sky today and it had the first red card in the game's long history. Matt Carley showing the Oxford 9 a red card for an eye gouge. Sure we haven't heard the last of this, it didn't look pretty.

Interesting how it came about. The TO3 didn't see anything live. The 'victim' however suggested to the ref that his face had been intefered with, and based on this the TMO was consulted. Replays looked bad and MC made the decision himself.

Anyone else watching? Wonder what the ban will be bearing in mind it is a relatively high profile televised game?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Too busy at work and first time I have missed for years and have missed seeing the boys (well old men now) in the LX Club reunion bar.

Caught a bit of the match on SkyGo and Oxfrod looked better. I thought Mr Carly did well and he is looking good to go all the way.

Not seen the offence that got Egerton sent off but typical it was an Oxford man - as I am sure you will agree with :biggrin:

Forget what RFU do to him ban wise, the Old Blues will lynch him, and ill be personna non grata for years. Discraceful behaviour in the Varsity Match.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I watched the majority of the match and felt MC had a pretty decent game.

With regards the RC for the 9, on first view at full speed, it looked like bad hands being cleared out but on the slowmo replay, you can see the ball is no were near his hands when he pulls them back to his own body across the face.

The commentators were saying things along the line of "well he is trying to rip off his scrumcap", my thoughts were why would you try and rip off his scrumcap, strange comment tbh.

Cambridge scrum were dominated out of the game.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
That was actually my first thought. He's just pissed in the pond of nepotism (for lack of a better word).

Forget what RFU do to him ban wise, the Old Blues will lynch him, and ill be personna non grata for years. Discraceful behaviour in the Varsity Match.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
How do you feel about using the TMO when no-one on the TO3 has seen an offence but a player makes an accusation?

Sensible or potential nightmare? You could spend a lot of time looking for perceived stamps and contacts on the floor. The last thing we want is live citings but I do feel serious foul play like this is better punished live. Difficult.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I assume that there was physical evidence of a gouge that the player could show the ref?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was tried in the currie cup a whilst back and it was bloody awful as the game slowed down massively everytome someone thought they'd seen something, usually turned out to be nothing game-stopping-worthy.
How do you feel about using the TMO when no-one on the TO3 has seen an offence but a player makes an accusation?

Sensible or potential nightmare? You could spend a lot of time looking for perceived stamps and contacts on the floor. The last thing we want is live citings but I do feel serious foul play like this is better punished live. Difficult.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
I assume that there was physical evidence of a gouge that the player could show the ref?

Not really. He just went over to MC, and told him what had happened. The ball was already out of play (kicked out for a lineout) and MC just calmly asked TMO to look and see if anyone 'interfered with white 18 on the floor'. There wasn't even a suspect when it went to the TMO, just a victim.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was tried in the currie cup a whilst back and it was bloody awful as the game slowed down massively everytome someone thought they'd seen something, usually turned out to be nothing game-stopping-worthy.

That's the risk. But the reward is catching gougers et al.

I think it needs to be on the T03 call (which can included them asking at the request of a player if they have good reason - with injury being the obvious reason )

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
You mean like your man Allen punching John Carter when he was on the floor? :biggrin:

A bit different and the occasional punch for some is all part of the Game for many years. Many of us have swung one or two in our careers

Not that I condone it of course, and a pinned target is not fair game.

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Too busy at work and first time I have missed for years and have missed seeing the boys (well old men now) in the LX Club reunion bar.

Caught a bit of the match on SkyGo and Oxfrod looked better. I thought Mr Carly did well and he is looking good to go all the way.

Not seen the offence that got Egerton sent off but typical it was an Oxford man - as I am sure you will agree with :biggrin:

Fixed it for you

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
huh. Runs perfectly for me. I wonder if it's a US/UK thing.

It looked bad when played over and over in very slo-mo. Live and at normal speed...orange for me I think was my gut reaction. I can't fault the referee, but...

It was for hands to the face, not eyes specifically.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Was definitely outside of protocol but for me its about getting the correct outcome on the day. Don't want to get into a situation of players appealing for things, (as if they would....)

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Was definitely outside of protocol but for me its about getting the correct outcome on the day. Don't want to get into a situation of players appealing for things, (as if they would....)
In what way out of protocol ?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Isn't that how it came about that Hartley was cited when Ferris apparently tried to fish-hook him? Did that go to the TMO on the day, or was it just a citing?