Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So who are the favourites?

Tigers win student encounter

Leicester Tigers ran in five first-half tries in victory over Cambridge University at Grange Road on Monday evening.
In their final warm-up game before the Varsity match, Cambridge found themselves 29-3 down at half-time, though they did enjoy more possession and territory in the second half as they forced Tigers on the defensive to protect their lead.

In the second half it was the University side who enjoyed more go-forward and Tigers had to defend their line, being breached just once.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Cambridge of course, as they are every year.

And I am confident that OB and StuartG will agree with me, as will PeterT is he is lurking on the Forum.

However it is an emotional and tribal view, not an objective rugby one, but by 9pm post match I will have forgotten the score, and be with old team-mates and rivals in an alcoholic stupor, combining how standards have dropped since the 70s.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

And I am confident that OB and StuartG will agree with me, as will PeterT is he is lurking on the Forum.

However it is an emotional and tribal view, not an objective rugby one, but by 9pm post match I will have forgotten the score, and be with old team-mates and rivals in an alcoholic stupor, combining how standards have dropped since the 70s.

Absolutely, the stupor was invariably achieved by 7pm

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes

My heart and loyalty say Cambridge, my brain says Oxford by rather more than I am prepared to admit. I went to the Steele Bodgers match - watching the grass grow was more stimulating. Cambridge were just so dull. In the last 12 months they've barely won a game and I don't think that habit will change on 11/12. I had the offer of free transport, dinner, ticket and tea but I'm not tempted as I believe the match will be so dire. We'll see - I'd love to be proved wrong.

So far the LXs have won, Colleges XV have won and the U21As have been mullered. I reffed the U21As v Colleges in a trial game a few weeks ago, both sides could defend but not score!

Son went to both Cam and Oxon so he always supports the winning team post facto.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Why even the Discussion? Oxford to win.
A university that knows what Blue is (hint: it isn't green). :biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am a pessimist. If Cambridge lose, at least I was right. If they win, I don't mind being wrong.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Cowley School of Further Education vs East Anglian People's Polytechniic

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
So how are the Cambridge supporters tonight? Crying into their beer at the worst ever loss in Varsity match history?
:biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I couldn't give a toss who wins.

I will usually look at the teamsheets and decide the team with the most double barrelled surnames and/or ludicrous first names is the one I want to lose.

I plumped for Cambridge in 2012 on the basis of Cassian Bramham-Law :)wtf:) playing for Oxford.

LLP

Sunderland Polytechnic 1981-84

View attachment 3114

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
"Samaritans to Thomas Towers please. Urgent"

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
We all know that the most important Varsity match is Lancaster University v York University in the war of the Roses.

Lanny are bottom of Northern 1A after 10 games with just 2 wins, while York are bottom in Premier North B with 0 wins in 7.

That will be a bad game to referee this year!