Very Interesting TMO Protocol

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why strange? Step in the right direction for me if the referee is unclear and would ask for TMO input, makes sense to allow them to make their own decision. That way the game has decisions made by the same person and their interpretation applies, not a man in a box watching a screen.

What I don't want to see is uncertain referees asking for replays of everything, would like them to make mostly instantaneous decisions as normal

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The issue for me is that the Big Screen involves spectators & players in the review, and then a hooting & a hollering from the 90% home crowd . How about a Tablet pack strapped to the chest, that flips down to allow a second & private review to take place ....... a bit left field I know, but .........?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Referees in the Rugby Championship may now make their own try/no-try decisions by looking at the big screen.
Full article:
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/Big-screen-boost-Test-refs-20130907

I find this very strange...

Why?

It was already part of the protocol for foul play anyway,

3. Potential acts of foul play
3.1. The match officials may suggest that the referee refers the matter to the TMO for review if they observe an act of foul play where:
• They may have only partially observed an act or acts of foul play
• They are unsure of the exact circumstances
• The views of the match officials reporting the act(s) of foul play differ
• There is doubt as to the appropriate sanctions to be applied
3.2. If the referee agrees to refer the matter to the TMO he will indicate that he wishes the TMO to review the potential act(s) of foul play and to make a recommendation as to the appropriate sanction(s).
3.3. In reviewing the potential offence the TMO must use the criterion on each occasion that the infringement must be clear and obvious especially where sanctions may apply where a player is removed from the field of play either temporarily or permanently.
3.4. The other match officials may utilise the in stadium screens (where available) to form a judgement in this matter.
In accordance with Law 6.A.4, the referee will remain the sole judge of fact and law during a match.

The issue for me is that the Big Screen involves spectators & players in the review, and then a hooting & a hollering from the 90% home crowd.

How is this any different from the "hooting & hollering from the 90% home crowd" that he is subjected to for the whole 80 minutes?

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Going to make my life less interesting!!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

You could be made redundant from your new job in double quick time at this rate :wink:

KML1

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Not sure the big screens in the Prem are that reliable to allow Ref to make too many calls. They are often in the corners and too far away (I understand) to get a good view. Soon find out I guess!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
How is this any different from the "hooting & hollering from the 90% home crowd" that he is subjected to for the whole 80 minutes?

Magnified scrutiny & intensive viewing. potentially greater the disapproval = more pressure on sir to YC / RC etc...

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
you are still at the sharp end for try decisions - Aviva use teh screen for foul play only. There again no permanent screens at Tigers, Sale, Quins.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
But Quins have a screen for every home game so it is there when needed anyway

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't know, but it is there every week

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
As stated by Joel Jutge to the IRB Refs.

The referee can rule using the feeling of the game, hence the idea is to allow the referee to be able to make a decision first, if he cannot then the TMO must rule, and they can only rule on fact of law where clear and obvious.

I think it's a big step in the right direction.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Was it Wayne Barnes over the weekend who went to the TMO with a specific question but then didn't even let the TMO give the response, just saying "It's ok, I got it".

I know this speeds up the process but somehow doesn't seem right to me?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In that case why didn't the referee use it for the Myler knock on incident ?

Ref can only use the big screen for foul play...................according to our resident TMO.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ref can only use the big screen for foul play...................according to our resident TMO.

Are you sure? I saw this during the latest South Africa v Argentina match.

Ref: Vinny? Can you hear me?
TMO: Yis!
Ref: Could you go back to the last breakdown? And zoom in please! Closer...Closer....Closer and hold it there bro...........God my hair's a miss!

View attachment 2644

KML1

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel

They can use it for other stuff to, but in likelihood - like judging forward passes in the lead up to a try, but in reality the pure try/no try decisions won't be done via the screen.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Was it Wayne Barnes over the weekend who went to the TMO with a specific question but then didn't even let the TMO give the response, just saying "It's ok, I got it".

I know this speeds up the process but somehow doesn't seem right to me?

TMO is merely an assistance to the referee, WB clearly decided he no longer needed it to arrive at his decision, good on him I say.

KML1

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I use the motto linked to my forefathers - Ich Dien on the Welsh feathers emblems. It means "I serve" but if he wants to take it all on himself, then so be it. We, as Browner rightly says, are there to assist when required.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I've just noticed that on Keith's WRU logo, where the trademark and copyright symbols are it looks just like TMO on my laptop screen. How appropriate.

PS. Still no excuse to have Welsh stuff on your profile...