Wal v Aus: Coach Verbally Attacks Officials

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
id suggest that anybody 120-0 before no-side is even close indicates they are playing a far more skilled, but probably far more physically adept side. Thats whetre the potential danger lies surely ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and frankly - at 120-0 whats the f4cking point of making that 140-0 ? How the proverbial doe sthat mean anything ?

(yes I know league For/Against points but is this REALLKY what we aspire to in the comunity game? Especially when suich scenarios could be covered by simple regs halying a game at a 50 point margin for instance. FFS)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Isn't this exactly the kind of thing the Game On initiative is trying to address?
Are the losers likely to turn up for the return fixture?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OB - look up "rule of thumb" :)
It's what you use when you haven't got anything better. It did not apply in the specific case. The players may have applied it, but the referee knew better, (and was right).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's what you use when you haven't got anything better. It did not apply in the specific case. The players may have applied it, but the referee knew better, (and was right).
exactly so it's not my rule of thumb you're disputing at all -- it's whether to apply it in that particular case.

but that's the whole point of a rule of thumb --- it's not invalidated by any single instance

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
exactly so it's not my rule of thumb you're disputing at all -- it's whether to apply it in that particular case.

but that's the whole point of a rule of thumb --- it's not invalidated by any single instance
That particular decision is the only 30-1 case I have ever seen. More often it is purely partisan opinion, when a rule of thumb is no help..

I have quoted before a game where the referee failed to turn up and a random spectator volunteered to referee. When he penalised his own team for not being back 10 metres at a 22 dropout, along with other weird decisions, we realised he really did not know what he was doing. The teams quickly decided to try to referee the games themselves, the captains telling the referee when to whistle. He seemed happy with that, and we had a game of sorts.

On another occasion I was running the line for a friend on a very wet day. The ball was kicked towards touch and a player fell on it, sliding perilously close to the touch line. He had his eyes fixed on the line and realised he had stopped just short of it, so he got up and ran off. Unfortunately in so doing he had stepped right on the line, so I flagged it. He was furious, but in the bar afterwards I explained it to him. He was still disgruntled!