Wales v AllBlacks

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
so to get this right, under this law a six foot winger running at full pace for 50m, when approached by a defender intending to tackle cannot do anything to brace for impact and has to take a full force tackle to an exposed mid riff becasue they must remain fullty upright - unless of course I suppose they ran 50m double up almost? ( Yeah right...)

What could possibly go wrong?

There's a difference between "bracing for impact" and lowering your head like this.

In fact I would argue that the head lowering is the worst kind of bracing I can imagine.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There's a difference between "bracing for impact" and lowering your head like this.

In fact I would argue that the head lowering is the worst kind of bracing I can imagine.

Or argue that its the best as the tackler now knows that they will get a card for head contact so they might pull out or lessen the level of impact????:biggrin:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Or argue that its the best as the tackler now knows that they will get a card for head contact so they might pull out or lessen the level of impact????:biggrin:

You lower your head like, and I just stand stock still, making no attempt to tackle, you're going to hurt yourself. Abs of steel, me!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You lower your head like, and I just stand stock still, making no attempt to tackle, you're going to hurt yourself. Abs of steel, me!

I've got abs of steel too. Just covered with too much padding...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I dont disagree that the lowering and LEADING with the head exascerbates/contributes etc to this area. I would say that - IMO - turning the shoulder to lead would be preferntial (and how I would coach it) but Im uneasy about suggesting ball carriers shouldnt lower their body height to aid bracing and ball protection when contact becomes inevitable. Even in contact there are elements of evasion maintained - trying to work off a side fo a tackler in order to get past the tackle (or even break it) a.k.a. "working off the hip" . watch England women from last weekend and youll see how successfull generally they were wrt to going forward through the tackle rather than being halted or even taken backwards - all because they have made some evasion during that cointact

didds