Wales v Aus 64 min Dump tackle

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Hi

Quick question on the interpretation of this, in the game the Australian player picks the welsh man up and took him beyond the horizontal and did dropped/drove the player to the ground.

Wayne Barnes penalised it saying that the player was taken beyond the horizontal.

I thought these tackles should have been penalised with yellow/red cards. What are the recomendations on this?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The tackle was penalised under Law 10.4 (i), but that makes no reference to cards. The referee uses his judgement.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Our briefing in Hampshire is to consider a red card and work back from there according to severity.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I didn't think it was a YC to be honest - just about a PK at that level. Thought Barnes had a good game overall.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I thought he did have a good game and communicated well.

I just thought there was IRB recomendations to start at Red or Yellow.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
yep, at our level.

i'd have given a yellow if i'd seen that in a level 15.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I thought there was a drive on to stamp out this vicious kind of play by the IRB?

Perhaps I'm mistaken and it's just the media? :sad:

PS Redruth's game with Newbury this pm was abandon (atrocious weather) with about 10 mins to go. Reds were leading by some 25points. Do they get the win?

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Probably Chopper. Competitions Committee will have a good look at everything, but Id imagine they will let the result stand. Hope you and rosebud didn't catch a chill!

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Probably Chopper. Competitions Committee will have a good look at everything, but Id imagine they will let the result stand. Hope you and rosebud didn't catch a chill!

Sat in the car with my lights on. Keith. :hap:

backrow

Referees in England
Post Likes

RFU Game Regulations

18.2 Abandoned Matches
18.2.1 Weather Conditions (which shall be deemed to include bad light in the sole opinion of the referee)
Less than 60 Minutes Played
(a) If Weather Conditions prevent a match being played or result in a Match being abandoned with less than sixty minutes having been played, then the match will be replayed in accordance with Game Regulation 18.5 unless the Committee exceptionally and in its absolute discretion agrees / specifies otherwise.
60 or more Minutes Played
(b) If a match is abandoned because of Weather Conditions when sixty or more minutes have been played, then the score at the moment of abandonment shall stand and be deemed the final score in the match. The Referee's decision as to the necessity for abandonment and the number of minutes played at the moment of abandonment shall be final.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I don't think it was a spear tackle. I think Barnes had his doubts hence why the penalty was suffice.

Well done to Wayne on another great game of rugby he allowed to happen!