Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Dreadful game!

Scrums a mare.

Lydiate still "chopping" with no arms.

France terrible with Wales not a lot better. Surely nothing for England to fear from either side on that showing.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
So what aspects of that game will England be bothered about? In your opinion. If that is top class pro rugby, God help us. The SH must be laughing in their beer.

Back to the "nice try":

We even manage to almost mess that up. Wales have a long way to improve. Our creativity is poor. When the SH, who was dreadful, gets Man of the Match you have to fear for Jiffy's sanity.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Dreadful game!

Scrums a mare.

Lydiate still "chopping" with no arms.

France terrible with Wales not a lot better. Surely nothing for England to fear from either side on that showing.

were on 75 minutes now, and it's not got any better.

i think Mr.B is refereei quite well, but any thoughts on the amount of time taken at scrums? Better in the second half but seemed to take an age to either get the ball on or decide to penalise in the first half.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Thought Barnes was too lenient with the Welsh number of penalties, should have been a card. Best part of the game was Ali Williams as a pundit basically saying the whole game was sh*t

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
So what aspects of that game will England be bothered about? In your opinion. If that is top class pro rugby, God help us. The SH must be laughing in their beer.

I missed most of the game, will watch the high(?)lights and from other sources also, that will probably be more than enough.

England has a nice team forming, but I wouldn't bet the mortgage on them for a grand slam.

But back to your actual content in first post, it is indeed disturbing that 'no arms' is happening at all, let alone at this level.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Thought Barnes was too lenient with the Welsh number of penalties, should have been a card. Best part of the game was Ali Williams as a pundit basically saying the whole game was sh*t

Indeed SH player laughing all the way home.

Re the number of Penalties you could make the same comment about France in the first half. Barnes managed it but he could havr made his own life easier.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I recorded the game since I was out on Friday.

Watched it Saturday morning. Forced myself to watch it all.

Then deleted it from my recordings list. Dreadful game.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I could not manage it all.

Any thought on the France try. A few guys saying truck and trailer. I think in real time it's a close call. Wales up a little early at the line out anyway.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My first thought was indeed t&t. Haven't had a chance to review that a zillion times.

Didds

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
You get truck and trailer all the time at this level when teams peel away usually from a line out. Refs call same maul to cover their arses.
Constantly ignoring laws of the game

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
a nice Welsh accent is a thing of beauty but that Jonathan Davies has got the most nasally, whiny, grating voice. And talks right over the top of the ref/TMO.

Highlight? Davies and Brian Moore making it clear no love lost:

“Whose mad idea at the BBC was it to squeeze both Pitbull and Jiffy into the commentary box?” asks Stephen Davenport-Drake.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
You get truck and trailer all the time at this level when teams peel away usually from a line out. Refs call same maul to cover their arses.Constantly ignoring laws of the game
I'm not sure he did call out in this case (could be wrong though), but yes it does get ignored an awful lot. You'd think he could ask the TMO - it should be quick to check for since the standard camera angle generally gives a good view.
Has there been a memo to be lenient on T+T?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Meanwhile in similar-ish vein, england had a driving maul in their game at the weekend, in which Billy V at tail man has the ball under one arm, a grip on the player in front's shorts/shirt and clear blue sky between hand and shoulder by a full arm's length. How on earth is that bound?

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Meanwhile in similar-ish vein, england had a driving maul in their game at the weekend, in which Billy V at tail man has the ball under one arm, a grip on the player in front's shorts/shirt and clear blue sky between hand and shoulder by a full arm's length. How on earth is that bound?

didds
By using a sensible interpretation of the laws instead of a literal one.

A maul is dynamic and its movements cannot be predicted. If it surges forward suddenly, I don't see how the ball carrier can maintain full contact with only one arm.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
a nice Welsh accent is a thing of beauty but that Jonathan Davies has got the most nasally, whiny, grating voice. And talks right over the top of the ref/TMO.

“Whose mad idea at the BBC was it to squeeze both Pitbull and Jiffy into the commentary box?” asks Stephen Davenport-Drake.

More to the point Jiffy talks crap!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
By using a sensible interpretation of the laws instead of a literal one.

A maul is dynamic and its movements cannot be predicted. If it surges forward suddenly, I don't see how the ball carrier can maintain full contact with only one arm.

I agree to a point. The will never in the real world be 100% contact for 100% of the time. Hiwever, that is rarely the situaltion. Normally contact is tenuous at best. For me I would have awarded the try as your point was relevant in this instance. Thankfuly it did not bring France back into the game.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

BBC?

-msf-