WB shows YC for swearing

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
A bit surprised at some of the comments here, seemingly verging toward criticism of Barnes.

valid points about the cultural differences between Australia and the UK of course, but for me it is very straightforward;

1. Penalty awarded
2. Penalised player swears, possibly at himself, possibly at the decision
3. Ref asks him not to swear - this should be the end of it.
4. Player looks at the ref and disputes the decision - let’s say that is worth another 10m
5. Additionally, he swears having been advised not to, so in effect we have two escalations here

Yellow Card seems entirely appropriate.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
A lot of angst I suspect because the YC ended up a red. If this had just been a straightforward YC and a 10 minute sit down, no-one would be thinking twice about it.

There has clearly - at least in Europe - been massaging from TPTB about dissent. I've seen more than one ERlite referee walk people back 10m for dissent, something that prior to this season was incredibly rare. Strikes me that this is just part of that.

I've explained to captains that I understand frustration at a decision going against someone, up to a point. But the minute they start to dispute the decision using foul language, they might be forcing me to make a decision that they don't like. Even here in Alice they seem to understand the difference between the two. Only once have I resprted to "I am not going to swear at you; you most definitely will not swear at me. Agreed?"

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
For me Barnes got it bang on.

Player disputes decision, Ref tells him to stop , player escalates his disputing , Ref has to take action otherwise he loses control.
Ref issues YC.
Its not the Refs fault that the player is already on a YC.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Quite, so tell your lads it's not OK to swear at refs ;)
I've not seen a cultural norm in Aus around swearing at referees - only swearing in general. The players that I do hear swearing at referees here are the ex-pat South Africans who seem to forget that its easy to learn what a couple of profanities in Africaans sounds like and much easier to pick it up when they yell it at you.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and theres also the danger of

"I dont know what you just said in Afrikaans but i'll assume it was swearing at me so heres a YC" ;-)

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
and theres also the danger of

"I dont know what you just said in Afrikaans but i'll assume it was swearing at me so heres a YC" ;-)
Though it is always amusing when someone whose adept or fluent in a language doesn’t let on for the first 10 or 20 mins.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Though it is always amusing when someone whose adept or fluent in a language doesn’t let on for the first 10 or 20 mins.
or on the other foot...

back in the 80s we were playing a side that made all there lineout calls in welsh (we were in Sarf Lundun).
So I shouted out "Siarad Cymraeg?" [1] at the next lineout.

They used English after that.

[1] it means "Do you speak Welsh". I don't. I just know a few words and phrases picked up when at UCW Aberystwyth in the very early 80s!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Living in France for year between School and University.

Local club in Salon de Provence were hosting an English University side. I, and my friend, got drafted in. I'm not sure the visitors ever worked just how we knew their lineout throws and "clever" moves. They didn't use codes, just plain English.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, in 2022 the f word is a common & accepted adjective. Except maybe at the vicar's morning tea.

If he'd said "flipping hell" or "bleeding hell" would Barnes have got all bent out of shape?

Not for me. I guess we each set our own standards. From the OP the second bit was directed at WB. Fair call.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
For this kind of situation and the Dylan Hartley situation, I’m always comfortable with the card or penalty. As others have said, if you don’t want to be penalized or carded for disputing the decision and/or cursing at the ref, then don’t do it immediately after a decision, only feet away from the ref, where any reasonable person may “mistakenly” interpret that you are directing it at the ref.
“Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.” You lost your cool and rolled the dice, here’s your YC.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
At grass roots we referee because we enjoy it... I doubt anyone here enjoys players swearing at him/her and telling you that you are a sh*t ref. For most of us, you wouldn't talk to a work colleague like that. Referees should not be expected to simply put up with it.