[Law] What constitutes a match?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So I know I've seen it somewhere before but having no luck finding it again.
Cannot find it in WR Handbook Regulations (maybe looking in wrong section???).

What time frame constitutes a match?
At what point during a game does the current score stand if the match has to be abandoned due to any of the following;
Lightning
Safety issues (pitch becomes dangerous due to weather conditions etc)
Player behaviour (ref calls time after mass brawl etc)
Reduced player numbers on a team (to a point where to continue would be ridiculous or where a Union has nominated a minimum number of players etc)
Anything else short of WW III

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This would be set by the competition organisers, so need to look in the relevant regulations

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agreed.

End the game when it needs to be ended. Submit the result and let them make their call. However, to answer the specific it is usually it is around the 60 minute mark.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Agreed.

End the game when it needs to be ended. Submit the result and let them make their call. However, to answer the specific it is usually it is around the 60 minute mark.

I had the feeling it was at the 75% mark i.e. half way mark of the 2nd half which would be consistent with 60 minute mark for 80 minute games.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Given the laws allow competitions to decide on any length up to 80 minutes it would be very hard for them to give a minimum time.
Not sure how Queensland works but looking at the NSW regulations fourth team games are scheduled for 50 minutes.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
NSW regulations fourth team games are scheduled for 50 minutes.

we used to play "60" minutes back in 1988/1993... guess the realities of swap overs and KOs means the realistic times are 25 minutes a half.

didds

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Pretty sure that it is 60 minutes.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Given the laws allow competitions to decide on any length up to 80 minutes it would be very hard for them to give a minimum time.
Not sure how Queensland works but looking at the NSW regulations fourth team games are scheduled for 50 minutes.

Obviously if the time is less that 80 any "minimum" would have to reduce.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
In England for all adult male 1st XV competitions and Women's Premiership and Championship.
I think most of the merit tables / second team leagues also play 80 minutes with 60m cutoff.

But it is 50m for those played under U-19 rules, including the Women's National Challenge games.

But under NSW Suburban regulations, which I was looking for a discussion of the merits of the Aussie system so happen to have downloaded, the match stands if it is abandoned at any point in the second half. And as all the games are played sequentially on the same field, there is no added time for stoppages except for the 1st XV game.

You have to read the competition regulations.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have just checked the regs of three different competitions I ref in.. They are all different.
For weather 50 mins is the most common cut off
For abandonment for other reasons, it really varies.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
In England for all adult male 1st XV competitions and Women's Premiership and Championship.
I think most of the merit tables / second team leagues also play 80 minutes with 60m cutoff.

But it is 50m for those played under U-19 rules, including the Women's National Challenge games.

But under NSW Suburban regulations, which I was looking for a discussion of the merits of the Aussie system so happen to have downloaded, the match stands if it is abandoned at any point in the second half. And as all the games are played sequentially on the same field, there is no added time for stoppages except for the 1st XV game.

You have to read the competition regulations.

I have checked Brisbane RU & Newcastle Hunter RU (couldn't find anything for Sydney) and both of these nominate half time as the cut off so if game is abandoned at or after half time the score stands.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Our competition rules state that if the 2nd half kicks off then the score stands at whatever time it is abandoned.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
TBH I've never checked what the official result was when I've abandoned games, but I'd hope the particular situation was considered and some common sense was applied.

I've not had it myself, but I have heard suggestions that teams effectively refuse to play the last few minutes of a close game (a player going down and refusing to move before an ambulance gets there is apparently a favourite, so I'm told).

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
DocY's point about injured players made me think... in Sydney Subbies where one picth is used acoss an entire afternoon for four game kicking off at 12, 1, 2 and 3.15pm, what happens if a player is so badly injured he cannot be moved for some time that encroaches into the next match's time. Presumably that match just gets whatever time is available to start and end in, which could mean 2 x 5 minute halves even?

didds

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
The regulations for each competition are often very different on this topic and so you would need to read them.

But it is usually 60 minutes if it is due to weather or the pitch becomes unplayable, any other reason for ending a games early needs referring back to the organizer to determine whether it needs replaying.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
here's a couple of examples
Herts-Middx Merit
If a game is not played due to adverse weather conditions, or the weather causes the game to be abandoned with less than fifty minutes having been played, the game shall be deemed to have been drawn 0:0. Providing the Organisers is advised within three days of the cancellation that both clubs wish to replay and it can be arranged to be played before the end date for Merit Table matches, as advised by the Organisers, then approval will normally be given. If no re-arrangement is possible a 0-0 draw will be recorded.

If the referee abandons a game, except for disciplinary reasons, before fifty minutes of play has expired, then the game shall be void and deemed to have been drawn 0-0. Otherwise the result shall stand as though the game had been completed normally. Where the referee stops a game for disciplinary reasons, the game will be awarded to the non offending side.
http://www.hmmt.co.uk/competitionrules.html

Middlesex Merit
ABANDONED MATCHES
11.1 Weather Conditions (which shall be deemed to include bad light in the sole opinion of the referee):

Less than 50 Minutes Played

If weather conditions result in a match being abandoned when less than fifty minutes have been played then the game will be replayed and both teams will use their best endeavors to ensure that the match is played at the earliest possible date. If the teams cannot agree, the match shall be played at a time, date and venue as specified by the Organiser.
50 or more Minutes Played

If a match is abandoned because of weather conditions when fifty or more minutes have been played, then the score at the moment of abandonment shall stand and be deemed the final score in the match. The Referee’s decision as to the necessity for abandonment and the number of minutes played at the moment of abandonment shall be final.

11.2 Other Reasons

If the Referee finds it necessary to abandon a match for any reason other than weather conditions, then, irrespective of the number of minutes played, the circumstances shall be reviewed by the Organiser who may order, after making such enquiries as he deems appropriate, the match to be replayed and/or impose such other sanction as he deems appropriate.
http://middlesexrugby.com/competitions/mmtredirect/mmt-league-rules/

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Gloucestershire Reserve Leagues
9. DETERMINATION OF RESULT

a. If the referee abandons a game, for whatever reason, before three-quarters of the time has been played, then the game shall be void. Otherwise the result shall stand as though the game had been completed normally.
b. In the event of uncontested scrums for all or part of the game the result will stand as though contested scrums had taken place throughout.

We allow game time to be reduced if numbers are reduced (10 per side minimum).

Void games do not necessarily have to be played later.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Generally speaking : for any aspect of the game where competition organisers have the freedom to define their own regs, they will exercise that freedom!

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
DocY's point about injured players made me think... in Sydney Subbies where one picth is used acoss an entire afternoon for four game kicking off at 12, 1, 2 and 3.15pm, what happens if a player is so badly injured he cannot be moved for some time that encroaches into the next match's time. Presumably that match just gets whatever time is available to start and end in, which could mean 2 x 5 minute halves even?

didds

Pretty much. First XV has to kick off at 3.15, so everything works to that. Of course if the ground has lights and both teams and the ref are happy then there can be some flexibility. Abandoned matches can be replayed (or if in the first round the clubs can agree to play for double points in the second round)

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
In the Netherlands, if the second half has started and the referee decides to stop the game for safety issues, then a match has been played, with the score at the time counting. So 40.1 minutes, effectively.

If the reason for stopping the game early is "funny business" by one or more sides rather than safety (weather, whatever), then the game counts as played but initially with a 0-0 result. In such a case the referee has to report on the circumstances leading to the abandonment of the match and the relevant union official (competition organiser) can decide on sanctions if any or whether the game should be replayed, or awarded to one side or the other (30-0 result), or any combination thereof.