What do you think of the new site?

Do you like the new site? (The functionality, Not the look)

• Yes, it's great

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • It's ok.

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Bit disappointed

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is it just me, or do others find the site VERY SLOWWWWWWWW:wait:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
. . . I wait for ages . . . . then along come two!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Yeah, that's a small mod.

I notice they run the same version as us, do they have the same issue with the latest post when you use it?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is it just me, or do others find the site VERY SLOWWWWWWWW:wait:

Yes sometimes it is slow, and sometimes very slow

I got the stop watch out this arvo.

Clicking "Home"....Best 15 sec, worst 24 sec before the homepage displayed

Clicking "Reply With Quote"....Best 20 sec, worst over a minute before the reply window was up.

Clicking "Post Quick Reply"... Best 15 seconds, worst over a minute for the post to show.

Tried on three different computers. Results seemed to be about the same. No such problems on other forums

Last edited:

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's my only beef as well - it seems to take forever to load up and change pages!:sad:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Is it my iPad or the new site program? I can't indent paras.

As far as those face thingies go, I do get a fleeting glimpse to the RH side of the thread box before it disappears.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Robert

Quite aside from the fact that this new site is terribly, frustratingly slow (30 seconds to a minute to navigate between threads, or to open a reply window) there is also a serious issue with the "search function... it is essentially useless. Every search I have tried so far comes up with "Sorry, no matches". I even tried search for the word "scrum" and ........ "Sorry, no matches". WTF?

When I try using Google's Advanced Search to search the site, I see the results I want, but when I click to go to them, I get this page.... every time

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/index.php

It seems the archives are inaccessible because they are located in a sub-directory of http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums, and you have blocked access and forwarded to the index page

You need to get rid of that forwarding page so that the archives can be accessed. It is also probably the reason why the search function doesn't work, because it is not looking through the archives, only those posts that have been made since the new software was installed.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
I'll send the server optimisation details to the hosts see if they can make the load time faster, mines not normally that bad, but is slower than before.

I'll rebuild the search function, I'll probably close the forums for an hour or so to do that as it's quite a server intensive process.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Today, I've gotten a server error when using the new bookmark.

While the new bookmark was working I had to log in (with various errors being reported to me) everytime.

Using the old bookmark and following the link there to this site lands me here and already logged in.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
No problems with me although the site is slightly slow. Not in the same magnitude as you are all experiencing. You're onto that anyway though Rob.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Oi!:wow:

Where my photo?

It's off the side!:wait:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Yep, was playing with positioning. All fixed.

Just trying to move the bloody welcome bar now!!!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
it's soooo slow and hard to navigate hate to say it - am avoiding it more and more. hopefully things change. if you need any donation $ to get it back the way it was - just say so - am more than happy to kick in whatever is needed.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Have to agree ddjamo. Slow, means I don't do any quick reading of posts dueing the working day (not when it takes 30seconds + to load a thread - which means it is slower than the BBC on my work machine (which is why I don't use the BBC anymore, but all other sites are instant, even video/tv streaming. Speed of internet connection isn't an issue - we rely on speed for out trading platforms). Also - seems the switch to the new site has led to a drop in the number of posts. Yes it is the summer, but with 3N, RWC etc, would expect more. And most those posts seems to be Robbie starting them. Maybe it is a co-incidence, maybe it is imagined, but there it is.

I don't need any of the flash functionality, just a quick forum. So I would say it appears to be a backwards step, despite the best intentions. Personally I would resist the urge to develop more for the site until you can get the speed of it back up.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Have to agree ddjamo. Slow, means I don't do any quick reading of posts dueing the working day (not when it takes 30seconds + to load a thread - which means it is slower than the BBC on my work machine (which is why I don't use the BBC anymore, but all other sites are instant, even video/tv streaming. Speed of internet connection isn't an issue - we rely on speed for out trading platforms). Also - seems the switch to the new site has led to a drop in the number of posts. Yes it is the summer, but with 3N, RWC etc, would expect more. And most those posts seems to be Robbie starting them. Maybe it is a co-incidence, maybe it is imagined, but there it is.

I don't need any of the flash functionality, just a quick forum. So I would say it appears to be a backwards step, despite the best intentions. Personally I would resist the urge to develop more for the site until you can get the speed of it back up.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
I've been working to try and reduce the amount of work the database has to do.

I am getting through all the issues, the main thing is that a server change to a Virtual Private Server (VPS) will cost a lot (approx. US$800 a year), I'm happy to do it but scoping the internet for good companies and deals takes time. I also need to know that doing it will have the desired affect. I hope to have this sorted by the weekend.

I think the slowness is mainly due to the UK Season being off and no NH internationals for a bit. I expect it to increase again the week after next.