What makes a good rugby?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I asked what makes a good rugby referee, and got this answer? What do people think?

A good rugby referee is an individual who has a thorough understanding of the game's rules and regulations, and is able to make quick and fair decisions on the field. In order to be an effective rugby referee, an individual must possess several key qualities and skills, including:

1. Knowledge of the game: A good rugby referee has a deep understanding of the game's rules and regulations, and is able to apply them consistently and fairly. This includes knowledge of the scrum, lineout, and other key aspects of the game.
  2. Physical fitness: Rugby is a physically demanding sport, and good referees need to be able to keep up with the players on the field. This requires a high level of physical fitness, as well as the ability to move quickly and make quick decisions.
  3. Good communication skills: A good rugby referee is able to communicate clearly and effectively with players, coaches, and other officials on the field. This includes being able to make announcements and explain decisions in a clear and concise manner.
  4. Confidence and authority: A good rugby referee is confident in their ability to make decisions on the field, and is able to command respect from players and coaches. This requires a strong sense of self-assurance and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
  5. Adaptability: Rugby is a fast-paced and dynamic game, and good referees must be able to adapt to changing situations on the field. This requires the ability to think on one's feet and make quick decisions.
Overall, a good rugby referee is an individual who has a deep understanding of the game, is physically fit and able to keep up with the players, has strong communication skills, and is confident and adaptable.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Id add to 1 (my 2p) - that the understanding also includes an appreciation of what the players are attempting to do and how they are attempting to do it, and why they are attempting to do it that way. its more than just "rules and regulations, and is able to apply them consistently and fairly"

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I would agree with all of that but they are all linked.
For point 1, I have played the game for a long time. I meet quite a lot of referees who have aspirations very early on but have never really played the game. This can come across in their refereeing style and it is not always good. I also watch a LOT of rugby, like way too much. Even the Welsh URC stuff that I can grab on S4C. I now watch for patterns of play and movements for the referee in context with my level of the game. Also if there is a decision I don't quite understand I will get the Law app out and have a look.

So this gives me a confidence on how a game should feel when I am refereeing. But fitness is massive. My brain works faster and makes better decisions when I am fitter. I then make them calmer and more assured, whether I am right or wrong.

Also empathy with the players. Back to part of my first point, I have good empathy with the players and I get this feedback from them after the match. I can see it from their point of view and talk to them in the same way. Not officious. Goes down well and usually leads to a much smoother match

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"

What makes a good rugby?" A good rugby what?​