What offences

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Apart from the high numbers - not an offence of course - neither FH back 10, red THP boring in on white hooker (which is the one that should be pinged) and none of the flankers (white in particular) has a genuine full-arm bind on their respective second-rows. Also the white scrum half should be holding the ends of the ball, and you can tell by the way his right hand is slightly more visible than the left that he's going to feed crookedly.

Why the AR is not giving red their 5m I do not know, and it is rather offensive that the referee has either a 6 inch whistle in his mouth or - more worryingly - a 'prominent member'. 5m line hasn't been marked, but "A scrum cannot take place within 5 metres of a touchline."

Also, the aeroplane is flying too low.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Rushforth, don't you mean FH not back 5?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
3-2-3 suggests it is a rather old image, so modern laws do not apply. We need to know the date first.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
3-2-3 suggests it is a rather old image, so modern laws do not apply. We need to know the date first.

And age group (playing devils advocate here!)

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Props not binding on opposition and the ball being fed nose first?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Vintage-Cartoons-Punch-1932.32.ALM.tif

Unfortunatly there is a gap in my law books from 1908 to 1949. Royds would give the answer, but his section on the "scrummage" is 50 pages long. His approach is incremental, so I can't just check that year.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Given the numbers on the back - none of the Front Row are Suitably Trained and Experienced?

:biggrin:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Browner. Huh?

How do you go from 'infringement' to scrum without a 'stoppage'?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
..... and then we have sevens. I like the Atlantis numbering scheme of Roman numerals. I've seen some creative schemes.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
How do you go from 'infringement' to scrum without a 'stoppage'?

Depends on what you define as a 'stoppage'

Dead: The ball is out of play.
This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing area and remained there, or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, or when a conversion kick has been taken.

An infringement, that results in a scrum recommencement (restart) of play, hasnt made the ball "dead" unless time has expired under 5.7.

Or are you saying, that at each knock-on the ball has been made dead ?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
A knock on cannot make the ball dead - advantage may be played.

The law says (as Browner posted)

Dead: The ball is out of play. This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing
area and remained there, or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a
stoppage in play
, or when a conversion kick has been taken.

So the knock on does not make the ball dead but the referee's whistle in response to it does.