What To Do Next.

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi folks

I am new to the forum and to Rugby reffing although have been a football ref for many years. Took the whistle for this game as club coach's asked if could do junior games as they always struggled Sundays for refs.So took course and have done a number of games U13-colts. Having had mostley postive feedback from both sides what should be my next step as main problem is that as I work nights, Saturday is bad day for me is there much demand for midweek games as I am often free Midweek ( where I did all my footbll reffing)
I live on borders of eastmids/leics area and comments advice most welcome.

duncanb.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Short answer is YES.

I used to work shifts when I was in the UK. even when working weekends, there was plenty midweek.

Get in touch with your local ref society, they will welcome you with open arms and ensure you get training, coaching, and games!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Duncanb - welcome to the forums.

There is considerable demand for midweek refs. There are loads of working people who can do Saturdays but not midweek - far fewer who can do midweek, and that's the critical point rather than the fact that you can't do Saturdays. There are also appointed games available on Sundays - ladies and the juicier Junior games. I hope you have also seen the thread on the benefits of Society membership.

A big welcome to the forums. You must be finding it all a bit strange after footie reffing - ignoring your TJ on everything except where the ball went into touch, having to run around, and being called Sir instead of c**t. Will you stick it out, do you think?:)

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thanks Dixie

a couple of points can even though in I should be East Mids due to address do I have to join them or Leics as most games would be nearer to me. I do less running in Rugby look at stats re ground coverage footy v rugby but yes being called sir his fanastic as we all give up time to enjoy wether playing or reffing.
I was lucky as a semi pro player most of games I reff'd knew I was a better palyer so never suffered alot of grief in fact they strangley asked for advice however never the watching crowd,maybe a new thred ex players taking the whistle is AR therefore the best ref in players eyes>??

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Join whichever society is most suitable for you.

(Just be aware that mileage allowance from out of county may be less ...)

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thanks flipflop OB

Can then I join 2 society's and be available for games nearer my local and also be a member of society for my address??

duncanb

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
If you looked at ref states 10k+ footy lot less rugby ( semi pro football) league below football leagues in my few all be it Junior games I run far less and watching many games either touchline or TV alot less not having ago just a fact,
duncanb

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Thanks flipflop OB

Can then I join 2 society's and be available for games nearer my local and also be a member of society for my address??

duncanb

You can, but as a newbie I would advise just one - it makes it much easier fro them to know how you are progressing, whereas if you ref for two societies your reports are dispersed. It also avoids possible confusion over appointments.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
join a society, the midweek appt sec will have you on his Xtmas card list in seconds. you may struggle to get assessed if you can't do the odd saturday now and again depending on your society's attitude to midweek assessments.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Join the one easiest to get to games, and meetings.

Speak to them both to work that out, then join one.

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi

thanks for the feedback glad there is no post code lottery V society so have emailed my nearest and my area good to know there are midweek games and I will get out my bed after 3to4 hours kip to have a game with the dreaded no lovely mentor/assesser are they more friendly/ helpful in rugby??

duncanb:) :) :)

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
rugby public generally, or mentors?

mentors are there to be a friendly face to new refs, so if they're not you want to be having a word with someone!!!

public should be more friendly too, although there are fewer guarantees over this.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
What are these stats Duncan - are they for players or refs?

I'd certainly expect footie players to cover more ground during a game than rugby players but I wouldn't have thought there'd be as marked a difference between the referees. Maybe you could furnish more detail?

When I watch footie refs I see them occupying a central position on the pitch, running up and down down the centre, occasionally taking up closer positions out wide when the play or issues demand it, but mostly making calls from a central position.
Rugby refs are much, much closer to the tackle/contact areas throughout the game, and probably cover as much ground or more than some of the rugby players. The most common problem with a soccer or hockey ref converting to rugby, that I see at my level, is that they don't keep up with play ... it's not a fitness issue so much as an expectation that they can make a call from further away. It's a horrid generalisation I know.
Varying by position played, the 15 rugby players on a pitch would vary much more in ground covered than the 11 on a soccer pitch, and the ref would compare to the greater distance covered (flankers and scrum halves?) rather than the lower end (props?)

This is just guesswork for fun, dumb averages and depending on level of course, would love to know the real numbers

footie player 9k footie ref 3.5k
rugby player 4k rugby ref 3k

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What are these stats Duncan - are they for players or refs?

Soccer 90 minutes
Rugby 80 minutes.

I also seem to recall that the ball is in play for a greater percentage of the time in soccer.

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi srumpox2

When reffing 2005 was part of trial in non league football for my local FA we wore pedometers and ground coverage over 90 mins was 7+K up to 8+K, I can't say that I can equate any distances in the few club I have done so far but body tells me alot less.
When reffing in football 1 would run on line corner flag to corner with 'hook off ' to incidents or 18yd line when goal mouth action (if any).So distance come about with the amount of play that goes from one end to another this obviuosly is effected by standard of game that you are involved with so good class semi pro V local youth would be hugely different I guess no difference in rugby as I noticed between U15/U19s.
I have noticed that need for short sharpe sprints in Rugby more than a on the move one paced 'jog' that is used in football. This I suppose is the nature of the 2 games being at breakdown etc
And OB is correct when he says that generally the ball is play longer in football I think mainly due to lineouts/scrums v throw ins corners etc as nature of forming these takes time out of the game.

duncanb

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
According to Cavalie H, Ebal E, Maso F, Michaux O, Lac G in their paper:
Energetic demand during a match and post-match recovery of the rugby referee published in Science & Sports June 2005.

The total distance covered by a rugby referee was 8.6 Km +/- 0.7 Km, sample size was 10 French National Panel refs

According to Matthew Westona, Carlo Castagnab, Franco M. Impellizzeri, Ermanno Rampininic, Grant Abtd in their paper:
Analysis of physical match performance in English Premier League soccer referees with particular reference to first half and player work rates published in Sept 2006 in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport.

The average football referee travels 11.6 Km +/- 0.9 Km, sample size was about 200 games.

Last edited:

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bloody hell! I've got an 8km run tomorrow, better load some carbs ... (fish 'n' chips) ... ;)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
do you want an old Society shirt of mine to wear ?

I will be home this evening in Four Marks if you want to choose from a selection.

My phone number on our Web Site

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
For anyone interested, my heart rate monitor suggests that I expend about 600 KiloCalories per half when reffing at L.8. I've never considered a pedometer any good, as they count footfalls and the stride length changes dramatically depending on what's happening on the park. I believe that there are GPS versions that can give an accurate measurement of distance travelled, but these are too pricey for my taste.