What would you do?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So look at the two pictures (paying attention to the man on the left in the law book image).
Last kick of the match to square the game.
If it misses what do 'you' do?
If it's a Premiership game what does the referee do?

View attachment 3087

View attachment 3088

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
as it's Leicester, take no notice of the Sarries guy breaking the law :wink:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Assuming it goes dead/gets touched down.

Blow for full time.

Blow for full time.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess most referess would ignore it...

Of course the fact that it is illegal, and being ignored, is precisely the issue that will make it off-putting for the kicker, who can't help feeling a little riled.

If you are going to take action, best to do it before the kick --- but if the kicker is already adressing the ball, intefering at this stage is really off-putting for him, and does the defnders job for him.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I guess most referess would ignore it...
Of course the fact that it is illegal, and being ignored, is precisely the issue that will make it off-putting for the kicker, who can't help feeling a little riled.

Will he really notice?

Perhaps if he does (stores it in a brain compartment) and then cites it as reason he missed does that mean he's too easily distracted?

It is an infingement of the law but in this case and similar ones I'd suggest it is ignored.

Arms waving, leaning over with your arms up, shouting whaaaay and waving arms - where do you step in and say 10m forward (if that's the sanction - I don't know if it is) and another kick.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
At that level, if it misses go to the TMO and ask if there was any illegal activity before the kick

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Will he really notice?

Perhaps if he does (stores it in a brain compartment) and then cites it as reason he missed does that mean he's too easily distracted?

on the other hand the reason that the defender is doing it is precisely because he hopes it will be distracting.. and distracting because it's illegal (there are always defenders in the eyeline -- but this one has his hands on his head).

I do agree though, I reckon it would normally be ignored.
which of course is why he feels safe to do it...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
At that level, if it misses go to the TMO and ask if there was any illegal activity before the kick

On the basis you have seen it but you want the TMO to look like the t**t? :biggrin:

If you refered it and TMO says "nothing illegal" would you suggest "what about him with his arms on his head?"

Would you refer last kick of the game with point(s) at stake kicks?

Would you refer every kick just in case there was someone doing something illegal?

Actually that all sounds a bit interrogative (is that a word?) and it's not meant to be. It's all a lot simpler in the weeds.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

I suspect KML1's radio equipment would have gone down, as did the Sky feed to his screens :biggrin:

Seeing him in an hour or so, and will ask.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Interesting! First reaction says I would ignore it.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Of course the fact that it is illegal ....
Can anyone, anywhere explain why it is illegal? Because I can't work it out.

I guess most referess would ignore it..
Myself included. If I'm honest I can't imagine any ref making an issue of it. In the grand scheme of things, this law doesn't warrant a 2nd thought surely. If the IRB quietly dropped it, let's be blunt ... nobody would notice.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Id ignore it, player with hands on his head ensuring that he fills his lungs with air in case he has to go again and you penalise him?

Pedantic Pat might pint him but most refs im sure wouldnt. Alot of players assume this position trying to get their breath back it would be extremely harsh to penalise him.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I don't ignore if I see it. From behind the kicker I will signal to get the hands down; usual for either the player concerned to do as 'advised' or one of his team to sort him out. I've seen this ignored and the kick goes over, so took no further action. I can't think of an instance where I was ignored and the kick missed.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I will be the first to say that if the defender were to raise his arms like that while the kicker is set to kick - I would award a second kick up 10m if needed. if the defender were to set his arms like that prior to the kick I would ask him to put them down.

must be due to my years as a caddy and playing golf....I call bush league on it and don't allow them to take the piss like that. both sides must show respect and if you allow it once the other side is now entitled. if I had noticed an opponent doing that while I was playing I would take exception and I'm sure others do too. no place for it.

added: sorry nigib...timing of my post was off.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If its a conversion of course... you can't advance it... :D

didds

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Id ignore it, player with hands on his head ensuring that he fills his lungs with air in case he has to go again and you penalise him?

Pedantic Pat might pint him but most refs im sure wouldnt. Alot of players assume this position trying to get their breath back it would be extremely harsh to penalise him.

And it's totally coincidental that (i) he is the only Saracens player with his hands on his head, (ii) he is the Saracens player who is most directly between the kicker and the posts, therefore directly in the kicker's eye-line and (iii) that he drops his arms as soon as the ball is kicked?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ah - thanks for the nuance chaps :)

any ideas why the two are different?

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
ah - thanks for the nuance chaps :)

any ideas why the two are different?

didds

Maybe charging out / rushing the kicker trying to charge the kick has always been accepted as being all part and parcel of the distraction for the kicker at a conversion, OB is usually the source of such info.

I knew a team that would all run out at different angles at a conversion , some even hopped or circled thinking that any distraction was a good distraction.

Personally, I'd love to see a kick missed and then the referee order another attempt even at elite level , those that practice gamesmanship getting the proverbial bloodied nose !

Last edited: