[Line out] When is a U!5 line out over?

Willehj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
For U 14 lineout which are uncontested the laws are explicit on then a lineout is over.

'The lineout ends when the ball or a player carrying it leaves the lineout or the ballgoes beyond the 15m or into the 5m channel'

For U15 lineouts, which are also uncontested but lifting is permitted, it does not provide any guidance. Therefore when is the lineout over and the ball can be contested.

Also can a maul be created from the lineout?

Thanks

Huw

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Assume this is RFU land?

In which case the NROP are basically overrides to the U19 laws of the game, so if it's not mentioned specifically then refer to the U19 laws, in this case;

[LAWS]
  • The lineout ends when:
    • The ball or a player in possession of the ball:
      • leaves the lineout; or
      • enters the area between the touchline and the five-metre line; or
      • goes beyond the 15-metre line.

• A ruck or maul forms and all of the feet of all of the players in the ruck or maul move beyond the mark of touch.
    • The ball becomes unplayable.
[/LAWS]

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For U 14 lineout which are uncontested the laws are explicit on then a lineout is over.

'The lineout ends when the ball or a player carrying it leaves the lineout or the ballgoes beyond the 15m or into the 5m channel'

For U15 lineouts, which are also uncontested but lifting is permitted, it does not provide any guidance. Therefore when is the lineout over and the ball can be contested.

Thanks

Huw

If there is nothing in the U15 regulations, then you revert to the laws of the game.

However there was some official guidance on age grade lineouts. As far as I am aware this is still extant.

View attachment Age-Grade-FAQ-on-Lineout.pdf

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Thanks

Huw

Once the "jumper" lands a maul can be formed or the ball can be passed away. The line out ends in the "normal" way.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The Age grade rules assume the ball is won cleanly and not overthrown, fumbled or otherwise. Outside of that it is use your common sense. The jumper comes to ground, deal with what is there developing in front of you.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Overthrown past the 15 line out over.

Fumbled is either a knock on or the ball will leave the line of touch and therfore the line out is over.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I mostly referee U15 at mid-week School Cup matches early in the season, so the standards of coaching achieved vary much. Slightly higher is early season school festivals. I make it a point to ask the coaches individually if their team is lifting in the line-out (unless I see them practising it in the warm-up of course). This season most are lifting, whilst last season it was more like 50:50.

The U15 line-out is over, practically, when in likely order (assuming a straight enough throw) (a) the ball is not caught cleanly, but touched by the jumper; (b) the ball-catching jumper returns to the ground and that team 'offers' to form a maul; (c) the ball-catching jumper returns to the ground and passes the ball (hopefully not forwards); (d) the ball-catching jumper returns to the ground and runs with the ball; (e) whilst supported in the air, the ball-catcher immediately passes the ball; (f) the ball is thrown beyond 15m without being played (I can't remember this ever happening).

I've had no coaches comment adversely on these scenarios.

All the normal LO offside lines remain in place.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I normally also try to shout 'down' or something similar when the catcher lands to assist (wards a few early enthusiastic hits), especially early in the season when it's all new.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The only non-obvious scenario is maybe where nobody touches a straight throw and it ends up on the ground between the two lines of participants.

ISTR there was some guidance offered a couple of years or so ago about this - or maybe refs here cobbled up a quasi-agreed solution? - but the sensible thing would (to me anyway!) to treat that as lineout oiver also

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The only non-obvious scenario is maybe where nobody touches a straight throw and it ends up on the ground between the two lines of participants.

ISTR there was some guidance offered a couple of years or so ago about this - or maybe refs here cobbled up a quasi-agreed solution? - but the sensible thing would (to me anyway!) to treat that as lineout oiver also

didds

Didds

See the pdf in my post # 3

RFU guidance on U14/U15 uncontested lineouts.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
cheers Phil! I missed that link somehow.

AS I thought then. *phew*

And me now being retired etc and all! (from rugby! not work - mores the pity!)

didds

Last edited: